quite/rather/enough

Dears!
Could yo explain the usage of the words quite, rather, enough and the difference?

Mrs. Smith: I spent 5 hours baking that cake. How is it?
James: Oh, it is QUITE good! (= “very good” in AMERICAN English) May I please have another slice?
Mrs. Smith: Why, of course.

CAREFUL! I hear that “quite” in British English has a different meaning. That is, if you say “The cake is quite good,” maybe Mrs. Smith will start to cry! I will let a British speaker explain the difference to you and me.

It is quite good’ in the UK usually means it is better than average, but not of as high a standard as ‘good’ alone would indicate.
Awful – very poor --poor – quite poor – below average – average – above average – quite good – good – very good --excellent

However, this being the English language, things are never quite that straightforward. If said with the appropriate nuance, it can also indicate a degree of excellence.

Thank you for the explanation. A famous English journalist (of course, I shall not name him) told his readers that “quite good” in England means “not good.” I now know that the situation is not that “straightforward.” I guess that if I ever visit England, it would be wise not to use the word at all.

It certainly doesn’t mean ‘not good’!

I apologize. I checked that book. The gentleman actually said that “quite” in England means “not very.”

There are at least two ways of reading ‘not very’, aren’t there?

Not very good - but good (which is how I’d define this use of ‘quite’)
not very good - of a poor standard

Thank you.