Question on quotation marks

"We gave him a Bible and said to him, ‘Read the Bible, and if you have time go to this church, go’”, Christina recalled. “It was a brief meeting and then we had to go back to Singapore for two years and didn’t know what happened.”

The punctuation is go’”, but I have seen it punctuated as go’," and wonder if it is a case of American vs British English.

Thanks.

This is correct - the use of the comma with quotation marks is different in American English (inside the quotation) and British English (outside the quotation).

2 Likes

To me, it should be: We gave him a Bible and said to him, "Read the Bible, and if you have time, go to this church, go.”, Christina recalled.

Thanks, Anglophile.

The original paragraph was said by someone. In other words, it is quoted. Can we remove the quotation marks, as in your response?

With an embedded quote, you can not remove the outer quotation marks. You need both sets. Embedded quotes can be difficult to read.

As for the placement of the comma, there appears to be some debate on it. The American way is to place the comma between the inner and outer quotation marks.

go to this church, go’,” Christina recalled

People think this looks better aesthetically. I agree.

But there is another reason, which has nothing to do with grammar or aesthetics. I don’t understand it completely, but with the old mechanical printing presses, with moveable type, it made typesetting easier to place the comma between the inner and outer quotes.

1 Like