Question in TOEFL listening exercises: lecture 10

I have a question about the TOEFL listening exercises, lecture 10 Question 3

Why the answer is C ?
There’s no (A) new drug, (D) several successful cases mentioned in the passage.
Four answers should be wrong.

Any one ??

Hi Northeast,

I agree with you.
The question asks which of the statement is not true.
Statement (A) is not true.
Statement (B) is true.
Statement © is not true.
Statement (D) is not true.

It looks as if the word ‘not’ needs to be removed from this question.

Hi Beeesneees,

Thanks for response.
But I think the answer 【(B) Some doctors are treating IAD the same way as drinking and gambling addictions】 is not true, either.
It only mentioned in the first paragraph that "Many, er, some doctors believe that people can misuse the Internet, the same way people drink too much or gamble too much. " , not the same way the doctors treat IAD.
And according to the first sentence in the last paragraph "What can be done to help people like this? Well, doctors aren’t sure. "
I think the answer (B) is not correct.

What do you think ?

Another question about the same lecture, Question 5
why the answer cannot be (C) ?
should we use the word “suspect” in (B) a positive or negative way?

This sentence is near the beginning of the third paragraph. The ‘some’ refers to doctors:
“Some are trying programs similar to those that help people stop smoking and gambling.” so it is clear that (B) is true.

When the Professor laughs as he says this, he is indicating that he is aware that the vast majority of students do actually take most of their research from the Internet. (He’s engaging with his listeners by making a joke)
He knows that actually all of his students would use the Internet for term papers (the majority) [color=darkblue](The answer is (A)), not few, so the answer cannot be (B), (D) or (C) all of which indicate that only a small number of students use the Internet for research.

The term ‘to suspect’ something is often seen as having negative connotations. It isn’t particularly negative or positive here. It is meant to indicate that this is what the Professor thinks.

Well, “the same way” in option (B) may contradicts “programs similar to those …” in third paragraph ?!

Thank you so much for the explanation. ( so the answer is wrong again, huh!!?)
Should I continue practicing with these questions? I mean the contents of audio & text are great, but the questions seem not trustworthy.

The answer to question 5 is A. What does the test indicate the answer to number 5 should be?

I think you’re right, but the feedback from the system to Q5 is B.

Sometimes I think this kind of question (about a speaker’s attitude) is not easy for foreign students to recognize the real meaning behind the speaker’s tone of voice.

Thanks for the guidance =)

Hmmm… well, having listened to the audio now (I only read the transcript previously) I would concede that it’s possible that the Prof thinks not enough students use the Internet for research. (It’s debatable, though).
In which case, only the one question is incorrect. I know that these tests are currently being revisited for errors, so it should be picked up.

If you’re looking for courses or material that will enable you to improve your listening skills or your english, I advise you to go to this great website:

seriousteachers.com/TEFL/Tef … l=10035361

What is your connection with that site, Mountain Man.
It appears to be aimed at those who wish to teach rather than those wishing to learn.