Pronounciation of ju(i)ce

Hi!

Would anybody please tell (inform) me whether the “i” in juice is spoken or omitted.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Michael,

juice is pronounced like /d3u:s/
as Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary suggests.

Enjoy drinking the same!

Snezana

joose

“Juice” rhymes with “loose”

Same thing with “fruit” and “suit”.

I always know I need a vacation when I start getting furious at beginning students who say “fru-It”.

Regarding the pronunciation of ‘suit’, it depends on where you come from, Michael. In these whereabouts, it’s /sju:t/ (rhyming with ‘newt’).

Which ‘whereabouts’ are they, Conchita? Have you been and gorn all posh?

A

Oh dear! Well, I just meant this side of the pond, Alan. :slight_smile:

(Sometimes I wish I could really ‘hear myself’ – with different ears, that is!)

I’m not talking about people who say [sjut]. That’s one of the normal pronunciations of “suit”, so I don’t care about that. What I’m talking about is ESL students who talk about a man who went to work dressed in his best “suet”.

suet - noun, the hard white fat on the kidneys and loins of cattle, sheep, and other animals, used to make foods including puddings, pastry, and mincemeat. (Oxford American Dictionary)

Newt rhymes with suit and fruit in the US, too. :wink:

Cripes, Yanks, you got me there! :lol:

OK, replace ‘newt’ with ‘cute’, then. How’s that now?

…and in canada…

about

hehe

“aboot”

down here (in the South) many people pronounce “suite” as “suit”:

“I bought a new bedroom suite (“suit”) today.”

…they’re not talking about clothing.

That irks me.

One of my first encounters with the word ‘suite’ was in the film title ‘California suite’. I first pronounced it /sju:t/ until I heard a Scottish friend of mine say it properly (as ‘sweet’). I don’t know if my mispronunciation irked her, though!

Yeah

My understanding is that a “sweet” (suite) is a room (as in “hotel suite”) or a group of furniture in a room.

A “soot” (suit) is something that’s worn.

Call me Mr. Obvious. hehe

Hi Conchita,

Thought you might be interested in the following I just heard on a light entertainment radio programme, knowing your interest in accents:

Question: What is the definition of ‘sex’?

Answer: It’s where the Queen keeps her coal.

A

Thanks for the joke, Alan!

I’m not sure I get it, though, unless it has something to do with ‘keep your cool’!

Or is the play on the word ‘sex’ – could it be ‘sacks’, then? :? :slight_smile:

Hi all!

First I?like to thank you all for sharing your proficience to me. Second please let me tell you why I asked the initial question: It all begun with Conchita?s topic `Let?s slang? where she mentioned the expression “moo juice”. Well, I think I?m right to interpret “moo” as a cow?s noise/voice [size=75](in German you would spell it like that “muh”)[/size]. Now in a conversation I mentioned Conchita?s expression that way “mu djuz”. My counterpart in the talk who claimed to be familar with the English couldn?t get the point. After I had explained what moo juice is he said that I had misspronounced “juice” and if I would have said “djuiz” he surely would have been able to figure out that it were slangy for “milk”! :lol: :lol:

By the way, Amy, I wonder how fruit sounds when it rhymes to newt. Is newt a real existing word, at all? I couldn?t find it anywhere.

Greetings

Michael

Really? You couldn’t find any newts at all? :shock:
Michael, I think you must be pulling my leg! 8)

Newt in dictionaries
Newt Pictures I
Newt Pictures II :lol:

Fruit and newt also rhyme with ‘root’. :smiley:

Amy

I don’t know why everyone thinks they say “aboot” up there, or I should say down there (the Canadian border is south of where I live). Canadians don’t say “aboot”. There’s a schwa between the B and the OO, so they really say something like [@b^wt]. (The @ is supposed to be a weaker schwa.)

Look at all the gymnastics we have to do because we can’t use some of the international phonetic symbols here!

We should get some kind of prize for that!