Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

Dear Sirs,

When /d/ and /dz/ are together, you pronounce /d/ or /dz/?Is that right in all cases?

EX: If you see the phonetics transcription in any dictionaries, the word “adjectif” has the phonetics transcription as follows:

/ a:dziktiv /

So, you will pronounce:

a. /a:d/ /ziktiv/

or:

b. /a:/ /dziktiv/

If you don’t have time, please only answer a or b.
Thanks
Khanh

PS:The exact transcription of /dz/ is as in dictionaries.

/'aedzektiv/

Dear Sir,

In phonetics, there are 2 sounds: /z/ and /dz/
(/z/ in this case is not /z/ in “zoo”)

So , please see the transcription of the word “adjective” in the dictionary.What I’d like to ask, is:

with : /'aedzektiv/

You pronounce only one sound /dz/ together or you pronounce separately 2 sounds /d/ (quickly) and /z/.

Thanks
K

In the IPA, /dz/ is a two-character representation of a single sound.

Dear Sir,

So,in the IPA, in “adjective” only one sound /dz/ is pronounced. We can’t separate /dz/ into /d/ and /z/ and pronounce them.

Thanks
K

That is the idea, yes.

Thanks Sir,

If you have free time, please read my phonetics questions in “Liaison” (with whenever, whatever…) and share with me your opinions.

Thanks
K

Van Khanh, the international IPA transcription is confusing, because with some affricate consonants it uses two characters to represent one sound, as Mister Micawber mentioned. It does that with [tS] (the “ch” sound in English) and with [dZ] (the “j” sound in English).

These affricates consist of two sounds: a stop followed by a fricative. However, in English they function together as one unit. For this reason, when we teach phonetic transcription to teachers in America we often don’t use the international version of IPA, but the American variant instead. In the American version the [tS] consonant is written as a C with a hacek over it, and the [dZ] consonant is written as a J with a hacek over it. This eliminates the confusion that arises when two letters are used to transcribe one consonant.

A hacek is a circumflex (^) written upside down. I tried to write the actual phonetic characters, but this site is not Unicode compliant, so it wouldn’t show them after I put them in.