Present perfect tense vs simple past

Hi.
I was reading a blog and came across this sentence. I got a bit confused because of the use of the present perfect tense. Shouldn’t that be simple past, because of “in the past”?

Thanks for your kind help.

" I’ve blogged about it in the past."

3 Likes

Present perfect is often used to talk about events that happened at an unspecified time in the past or repeatedly in the past. Here is a good explanation: Simple Past and Present Perfect

I liked the blog post you were reading. I agree that using “their” as an object instead of “him or her” makes sense. The people who get hung up on the singular/plural mismatch should remember that long ago, “you” used to be exclusively plural, but today we have no problem using it for both singular and plural (though I must admit I like the “y’all” plural version).

3 Likes

Luschen, thanks for your help and the suggested link to read about it on VOA. I’m not a native English speaker (Brazil). First time I heard about you being only plural some time in the past.

1 Like

Well, this was hundreds of years ago - thou and thee were the singular for subjects and objects respectively, and ye and you were the plurals. Now all we commonly use is “you”.

1 Like