Predicament vs Imbligio.

Is there any difference between imbligio and predicament?

-He hadn’t threw a baseball in ages but he still remembered how.
Why didn’t the author use PRESENT PERFECT since is a general statement? Like the following:
-He hasn’t threw a baseball in ages but he still remembers how.

• They haven’t spoken in/for years. Which one is gramaticall?

As far as I know, there is no word “imbligio”. Possibly you mean “imbroglio”?

It should be “hasn’t/hadn’t thrown”.

“He hasn’t thrown a baseball in ages but he still remembers how” is talking about the situation now.

“He hadn’t thrown a baseball in ages but he still remembered how” is talking about a situation in the past.

They are interchangeable.

Thanks Dozy I have learnt it.

Yes you’re correct! is ‘imbroglio’
But how different in meaning is imbroglio and predicament. I cannot work out, even though I tried to know the difference in the dictionary but still confuses me.
Please strike me the difference.
But to add, do all mean 'a difficult or complicated situation?

Thanks.

“imbroglio” is a much less common word which some English speakers probably would not know. For me, it still retains some sense of being an import (it is from Italian). “predicament”, on the other hand, feels thoroughly English. For me, “imbroglio” has a stronger sense of things being muddled or confused, or personally awkward.

Hi, Thank you Dozy.
But you quite often add ‘a’ before ‘much’ why? Why didnt you have left it to be: “…much less common…” I don’t see this in the books I read. Can you help me understand why?

Besides, in one of your replies some times ago ‘a’ was preceded by ‘fairly’ which I forgot to ask why it was so. It seems it read like:
…it a fairly nice…

Please help me understand.

Thanks

Eben.

It is new to me as to why ’ a’ is preceded by an adverb.
Please explain to me.

The article “a” goes with “word”, not with “much”.

“a much less common word” = “a word that is much less common”.

I would have to see the whole text (I don’t remember it), but presumably “fairly nice” is followed by a noun, and the article “a” belongs to that noun.