Practice: TOEFL SPEAKING Q5

[b]Integrated Question 5

Information:[/b]

In this question, you’ll listen to a conversation and then be asked to discuss it and state your opinion about it.

Graders are trained to assign each of your answers either a 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on the quality and strength of your answer.

A 1 is uncommunicative; students who earn this score may have survival English but nothing more.
A 2 is limited; this is for students who can survive comfortably with English but cannot express themselves very well.
A 3 is communicative; students with this score are comfortable with English and have next to no limitation with the language.
A 4 is nearly fluent; this is awarded to students who display a fluent command of the language.

Outline
1st: you will hear a 1 to 2 minute conversation between two students
2nd: you will be asked a question about the conversation
3rd: you will be given 20 seconds to prepare your response
4th: you will then have 60 seconds to record your response
5th: the computer will save your response and go to the next question

1st: one student will describe a problem he or she is having.
2nd: one solution for this problem will be provided.
3rd: the positives and negatives of this solution will be discussed.
4th: a second solution for this problem will be offered.
5th: the positives and negatives of this solution will be discussed.

The question asks to explain the problem and state which solution you think is best and why.

In this post anyone can post your response to the questions.

And anyone can make any suggestions/advice to the responses of other student.

Feel free to discuss anything regarding TOEFL SPEAKING Q5.

History and Shakespeare class

Listen:
chirb.it/B3styr

My Response:
chirb.it/81EAFb

Transcript:
The man’s problem is that he is to attain both history and Shakespeare class which is scheduled at the same time.
The student discussed two possible solutions.
First, he can study Shakespeare on his own, independently.
And second, he can attain Shakespeare class in some other university.
If I were the man, I would choose the second solution.
The first solution isn’t really very good because even though the one-on-one discussion with professional is better as the man said he will not be able to motivate himself for studies.
The second solution is better because even though he has to drive three times a week as the man said the other university will provide him credit which can be helpful to fulfil his requirement.
And that’s why I would choose the second solution.

Please check and rate my response according to the TOEFL standards. Thanks

Expensive concert

Listen:
chirb.it/F9CmK5

My Response:
chirb.it/ncfMqq

Transcript:
The woman’s problem was that she wanted to go in a concert and the best ticket cosed $ 60 which is very expensive for her.
First she can buy a ticket of $ 15 or she can buy another ticket of $ 40.
If I were the woman, I would choose the second solution.
The first solution isn’t really very good because even though it is located in the top balcony as the woman said she won’t be able to see the stage properly.
The second solution is the best because even though the tickets are still expensive as the woman said she will be able to enjoy the concert properly.
And that’s really why I would advise her to go with the second solution.

Coffee vs nap

Listen:
chirb.it/km8Gpr

My Response:
chirb.it/KxECLP

Transcript:
The woman’s problem was that she had to take many strict classes such as physiology class.
The student discount possible solution.
First she can drink coffee.
Second she can take a nap in her dorm.
If I were the woman I would definitely opt for the second solution.
First is a terrible idea because even though coffee helps in being more attentive and being more active as the woman said it is very expensive and taste really bad to her. The second solution is much much better because even though she had never slept during the day as the woman said she will definitely feel relaxed if she slept for 15 minutes between classes.
And that’s why I would choose second solution.

Hypnosis vs health program

Listen:
chirb.it/IGvb2h

My Response:
chirb.it/nv0rad

Transcript:
The man’s problem was that he wanted to quit smoking because he wanted to participate in speed skating which requires a lot of our endurance and breath.
The nurse offered him two possible solutions.
First he can get, you know, hypnotized.
And second he can participate in health program which is offered in the hospital.
If I were the man I would definitely opt for the second solution.
The first is a terrible idea because even though it is easiest way to stop smoking as the man said, it is very expensive.
The second solution is the best because can get support of other people and also it is free if he is a student.
And that’s why I would the second solution.

State ID vs renew DL

Listen:
chirb.it/MIN5KI

My Response:
chirb.it/f74zfc

Transcript:
The man’s problem was that he wanted to buy ticket for play from box-office, but it requires two forms of ID, but he only had student ID card.
First he can now get a new state ID card.
And second he can renew his driver’s license.
The first solution is a terrible idea because even though it requires no test as the student it is expansive.
The second solution is much much better because anyways he is going to require driver license in his future and this license is good for five years.
And that’s really why I would definitely advise him to go with the second solution.

Hi Vahi, I thought your structure was pretty good - I assume you are following Notefull’s guidelines? You answered the question well, but you have a few words that sound unnatural, like “attain” and “professional” here. ALso, you seemed to have several long pauses towards the end of your answer.

Hi Vahi, I don’t’ think this was one of your better responses. I don’t think you stated the problem very accurately. This conversation had a lot of details, but I don’t think you covered very many in your response and the ones you did talk about, your did not always get exactly correct - see my comments below.

Yes, I am following Notefull’s temples.

New lab partner vs talk

Listen:
chirb.it/MmEBIH

My Response:
chirb.it/m1w2PH

Transcript:
The woman’s problem was that her grades in lab report were very disappointing because of her lap partner Robert.
The professor suggested her possible ideas to solve this problem.
First she could assign her new lab partner.
And second she could talk to Robert be more careful.
If I were the woman, I will definitely opt for the second solution.
The first solution is a terrible idea because all the student are already assigned with some partner and it is unfair to get anyone work with Robert.
The second solution is much much better because if professor talks to Robert I think we will be very careful with all the lab experiments.
And that’s really why I think second solution is much much better.

New mouse vs tell

Listen:
chirb.it/s3fx7t

My Response:
chirb.it/3EzKtF

Transcript:
The man’s problem was that he accidentally lost a mouse of his friend named Jack.
The students discuss the possible solutions.
First he can buy another mouse which looks just like the pet of his friend.
The second solution is that he can call Jack and tell him everything.
The first solution is a terrible idea because even though you cannot tell the difference between new mouse and the old original mouse, it is not an honest activity.
The second solution is much much better because even though it will ruin his trip, it is a very honest act to do.
And that’s why I will choose the second solution.

Hi, I thought your answer was pretty good. You captured the main points from the discussion, but you seemed to have missed quite a few of the secondary details.

Hi Vahi, I thought you did a pretty good job with this one, but you misheard the woman. Also, it would be great if you improved your use of articles.

Hi, not too bad, but your first sentence had some problems - see below. Throughout you seem to have more pauses than in some of your other answers. And you are still having problems with your article use.

Man, why didn’t the guy just take the wheel out of the mouse’s cage? Oh well! Also, the guy had a pretty interesting accent - like he pronounced “wheel” as “will”, in fact maybe he has a little bit of a speech impediment. It didn’t seem to cause you any trouble in understanding him though. Your answer is good and you seem to have less of a problem with articles in this one. Your response is understandable, but in a few places you could have sounded more natural. I know you would like me to rate these, but I really don’t have that great of a feel for how they grade the speaking responses. If I had to guess, I would say most of your responses to question 5 would rate a 3.

[two]

Hi Luschen,

Thanks for grading my responses.

Here is a scoring guide by ETS for speaking section:
ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/toefl_sp … ubrics.pdf

I took my TOEFL on 28/November/2015, and received the scores on 5/December/2015.

I got 26 on the speaking section, which is more that the requirement of my dream grad school. In fact, my overall score is 101, and English requirement cannot stop me from entering any grad school.

I want to thank [color=blue]Luschen. I don’t think this would have been possible without him.

Also, I strictly followed [color=blue]Notefull’s free TOEFL course: notefull.com/content.php?pgID=414