Practice: TOEFL SPEAKING Q3

Integrated Question 3

Information:

This question asks you to create an answer that combines information from a reading and a conversation between two students.

Graders are trained to assign each of your answers either a 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on the quality and strength of your answer.

A 1 is uncommunicative; students who earn this score may have survival English but nothing more.
A 2 is limited; this is for students who can survive comfortably with English but cannot express themselves very well.
A 3 is communicative; students with this score are comfortable with English and have next to no limitation with the language.
A 4 is nearly fluent; this is awarded to students who display a fluent command of the language.

Outline
1st: you will be given 45 or 50 seconds to read a short passage of about 100 words.
2nd: you will hear a conversation between a man and a woman.
3rd: you will be asked a question about the conversation.
4th: you will be given 30 seconds to prepare your response.
5th: you will then have 60 seconds to record your response.
6th: the computer will save your response and go to the next question

The reading will have a title and be made of about 100 words. This 100-word paragraph will always present you with the same kind of information: something new on campus (in other words, a change) and two reasons why this change or addition has been made.

The conversation that you hear will always be between two students, a man and a woman. In the conversation, one of those students will give his or her opinion about the change. The opinion will either be that the change is good or bad. After you hear the opinion, the student will give two reasons for that opinion. The two reasons the student gives in the conversation will deal with the two reasons you read in the passage.

The question you’re asked after the conversation isn’t really important because you will always be asked to talk about the change, the student’s opinion of the change, and the two reasons for that opinion.

Some more tips
Remember; don’t state what the two reasons in the passage are. It is a waste of time.

Always practice with timer, use it to control your speech.

==========================================================

[b]In this post anyone can post your response to the questions.

And anyone can make any suggestions/advice to the responses of other student.

Feel free to discuss anything regarding TOEFL SPEAKING Q3.[/b]

Read:
Music coming to cafeterias

Mary Dixon, Director of the Student Life Committee, announced yesterday that beginning next semester, university cafeterias will broadcast classical music during mealtimes. “Music will foster a more relaxed atmosphere,” said Dixon. “Students’ lives are hectic, and mealtimes provide important opportunities to take a break and catch up with friends before moving on to the next class or assignment.” Added Dixon, “We’re also hoping that, if we provide the music, students will unplug their personal music devices—their Walkmans™ and MP3 players or whatever—and will spend more time talking to each other. When students have their headphones on, they’re not connecting with each other.”

Listen:
chirb.it/Bw0AvO

My Response:
chirb.it/Bnm5L4

Transcript:
The announcement states that there will be classical music playing in the lunchtime and provides reasons for that.
The man totally disagrees with this new policy and opposes each reason.
First, he says that a lot of students doesn’t want to relax during lunchtime. They want to study especially if they are having any exam or assignment. And, now they will not be able to concentrate in their studies.
And second reason he provides is that students are more likely to bring their music player. He says that most of the student doesn’t like classical music and they will black out the classical music sound by their MP3 player.
And those other reasons why man didn’t like the new proposal.

Please check and rate my response according to the TOEFL standards. Thanks

Read:
Demolition of the old mail building
The University Board of Trustees has decided that the Old Main classroom building should be demolished to make room for a new fine arts center. The proposed building would serve the university drama, music, and art majors. Besides classrooms, the building would contain several stages — a main stage for visiting groups and major productions and two smaller stages for experimental theater classes — a large concert hail and many practice rooms, and an exhibition hall with a permanent collection of artwork and space for students’ temporary shows as well as many workrooms. The heating and cooling system will be provided by green energy.

Listen:
chirb.it/Nhmpwy

My Response:
chirb.it/hyxIG6

Transcript:
The announcement states that the old main building will be demolished and provide two reasons for that.
The man in the conversation totally disagrees with this new policy and opposes each reason.
First he thinks even though there is a requirement of for classes for fine arts but the empty space behind the sports arena should be used and he adds that the main old building was one of the oldest building in the campus and it was built during mid-1600s.
The second reason is that he thinks that it is not expensive to heat the building because the big walls keep heat inside and there is also a requirement of offices, so it should be used for offices for the graduate students.
And, those are the reason why he thinks it’s a bad idea.

Read:
Restless Leg Syndrome
As part of the “Endeavor Toward Health” workshop sponsored by the Medical Faculty, Dr. James Filbert from the Monterey Health Organization will be presenting a lecture titled “Living with Restless Leg Syndrome” at 2:00 p.m. in the campus auditorium. This illness is frequently misdiagnosed because of the difficulties its sufferers have describing their pain. The fact that it tends to be found within families indicates an underlying genetic cause. Dr. Filbert will be discussing the symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome and ways to alleviate the pain. The public is invited to attend.

Listen:
chirb.it/NJbp1p

My Response:
chirb.it/KOezDe

Transcript:
The announcement states that there is going to be a lecturer on restless leg syndrome and provides two reasons for that.
The woman in the conversation agrees and thinks it’s a great idea and support each reason.
First she gives the example of her mother and says her mother is suffering from this disease since she was a teenager and first it was diagnosed as the growing pains and after that it was diagnosed as a strain muscle and then as she was told that she is suffering from that because she stands up and teaches all day, then she quit asking and started to suffer, but now one of her cousin was able to diagnose and she is on medication.
The second reason is that the disease runs in family that’s why she wants to know the cause of it.
And that’s all, woman think this is a great idea.

Read:
Physical education
The reality is that physical education courses are not considered to be essential by students themselves, who resent having so many required courses when they want to concentrate on their major subject. This requirement almost seems like a continuation of high school requirements. We believe that students should take responsibility for their own physical condition. Money saved from reducing the number of physical education courses offered will be useful in updating our science and computer labs, as well as going toward more acquisitions for the library.

Listen:
chirb.it/x43x8O

My Response:
chirb.it/0FvpgM

Transcript:
The announcement states that there will be no physical education courses required for students and provide two reasons for that.
The woman in the conversation totally disagrees and opposes each reason.
First she was happy with the fact that students are required to take their own responsibility of health, but she thinks that it is not possible without the help of money.
Second reason is that she thinks that sports and other program will be affected by this change and she gives an example of a woman soccer team, which is starting to get their recognition, but they will be affected in a bad way because of the lack of instructor.
And these are the reasons why women were very unhappy with this new change.

Hi, I thought this was very good. You answered the question correctly and managed your time perfectly. Just a few grammar errors and one word I had trouble making out.

Hi, another good job. Do you need to mention the fact that Old Main does not have room for classrooms? Just saying it could be used for offices sounds a bit unclear to me.

Hi, this was a tough one and a little different than most of these I have heard. The woman gives a lot of information about her mother’s restless leg syndrome. But I think since the announcement says that the lecture will talk about how sufferers have difficulty describing their pain, you have to mention that was the case with the woman’s mother. Maybe you can skip some of the details about her various diagnoses so you have time to mention that key point. Otherwise, it seemed like a very good answer with not real pronunciation problems, but a couple of minor grammar mistakes.

Hi, this was a tough one and a little different than most of these I have heard. The woman gives a lot of information about her mother’s restless leg syndrome. But I think since the announcement says that the lecture will talk about how sufferers have difficulty describing their pain, you have to mention that was the case with the woman’s mother. Maybe you can skip some of the details about her various diagnoses so you have time to mention that key point. Otherwise, it seemed like a very good answer with no real pronunciation problems, but a couple of minor grammar mistakes.

Hi, I think you did a pretty good job, but you didn’t connect the woman’s comments as close to the announcement as you could have. It seems like you left out a couple of small details or clarifications that might have helped your answer.

Hi Luschen, again, thanks a lot to review my responses.

After knowing my mistakes I know that how to answer better, but the truth is not even a single of them is my first response to particular question. They are 2nd or 3rd and the tough one (Restless Leg Syndrome) was my 4th response. However, one difference from the way I was practicing previous Q1 and Q2 is that I transcribed all my responses after my all attempts.

And, also if you are doing same question for more that one time, you will process all the information many times. So, its not a good thing because you will have only one chance in actual TOEFL.

I don’t know whether I have potential to process all the info. in such a less time and deliver a great response.

Apart from TOEFL:

I don’t have any English test score and the only way to get admission in Auburn University in Fall 2015 is to take PTE, and that also as soon as possible.

So, I have registered for PTE for test on 15th June at Mumbai.

Can you suggest me anything…

Hi Vahi96, I think that the speaking section is the toughest part of the TOEFL. I actually think repeating a question until you get it correct is a good study method. But as you say, in the actual test, you only get one shot. I think the only way to get a really good score on the speaking is to practice over and over again, until your responses are almost automatic, at least in terms of the template you are using. But I think another problem is your grammar mistakes, and your trouble with using articles. Even with a good response, I think errors in such things are articles, prepositions, and verb conjugations will reduce your score. Unfortunately I don’t have any quick and effective methods to fix these problems. I am not really familiar with the PTE test at all, though glancing over it, the speaking section seems easier than that for the TOEFL. One other problem is that I am going on vacation for most of the month of June, leaving in two days, so I won’t be able to provide much assistance on this forum. I am sorry for that, but I would be glad to continue correcting your answers when I return. Good luck to you!

By the way, I could not resist making some corrections to your post:

Hi Luschen, I am literally an erroneous person.

And, yes I was in dilemma of posting my PTE response or not. But, now with you going I will certainly not. Besides that I really have less time.

After 15th maybe I will continue with TOEFL.

By the way, have fun on your vacation. Where are you headed?

You didn’t said anything about Auburn University.

Hi, we are headed to the Atlantic coast of North Carolina, an island called Okracoke. My wife and I are dropping our kids off at a camp near Asheville NC and continuing on to the beach for a week. Then when we return, two days later I will head off to Costa Rica for a surfing trip. To be honest, I don’t really know too much about Auburn, though it has a good reputation around here. We are only one state north of Alabama, but there are more University of Alabama than Auburn fans around here! What field do you plan to study?

Wow, it sounds like an exhilarating trip. You know surfing! that’s amazing. I wish I could do that one day.

I want to pursue MS in CSE.

Read:
State-of-the-art equipment
During the summer session, classes will be held in the geology complex while the main classroom building is being renovated. When the renovation is completed, each room will be equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, such as computers that will allow teachers to project their lecture notes and supporting data onto a screen. Some of the classrooms will be turned into multimedia labs. Although the building has already been made accessible for the disabled, further improvements will be made to provide even better access to all classrooms. Motion sensors will be installed that turn lights on and off to conserve energy.

Listen:
chirb.it/Dm3ssg

My Response:
chirb.it/1Ek9E9

Transcript:
The announcement states that main classroom building will be renovated with state-of-the-art equipment and provides several reasons for that.
The woman in the conversation thinks it’s a terrible idea and opposes each reason.
First, she think that more technological equipment will not be working without maintenance and upgrade, which is a very hard task to do and she adds that most equipment became obsolete very quickly.
Second, she thinks that it is very expensive because most of the equipment will not be used because of our most professor don’t bothered to learn this new technological equipment and it is also very time consuming process to makes slides for teaching.
And, those are the reason why woman thinks it’s a bad idea.

Read:
Western Minnesota State University Changes in Parking Regulations

To help finance the new parking structure on campus, WMSU has approved the following parking policy:

1. Beginning in the Spring Semester, all people parking on university property must register their vehicle with the Parking Office and pay a $1 O registration fee.
  2. There will no longer be “free parking” at the Stadium parking lot.
  3. Students living off-campus who wish to park on campus have two permit options:
    (a) Purchase a Student A permit, which allows parking in the central cam pus parking lots ($75 per semester).
    (b) Purchase a Student B permit, which allows parking in outlying lots, including the Stadium lot ($25 per semester).

Students with unpaid parking tickets must pay their outstanding tickets at the Campus Police Department before registering their vehicles.

Listen:
chirb.it/MEgsN8

My Response:
chirb.it/yMNK6B

Transcript:
The announcement states that the university is going to apply new parking regulation and provides several details of it.
The woman in the conversation thinks is a fantastic idea and she thinks that because of two reasons.
First she thinks that the new parking fees is cheap. She tells that it is only going to cost $ 45 per semester and $ 10 for registering the vehicle which everyone can afford.
Second reason is that the University needs money for the maintenance of the parking lot because university has to fix concrete, paint lines and plowing the snow. The university also has to raise money for the new parking structure.
And these are the reason why women think it’s a great idea to charge student parking fee.

Read:
Plagiarism Policy

Plagiarism is considered intellectually dishonest and will not be tolerated at Monroe University.

Plagiarism is defined as the offering of the words or ideas of others as your own. It may be a single sentence, whole paragraphs, or an entire paper, whether from an Internet Web site, a book, a journal, or papers written by other students.

Also forbidden is the submission of your own research papers as original work in more than one course without the written permission of both professors. The Monroe University policy for dealing with instances of plagiarism is as follows:

(A) A warning will be given to first-year students.
(B) A reduction in grades will be given to second-year students.
(C) A failure for the course will be given to upperclassmen (third- and fourth year students) and for honors students.

Faculty members will use anti-plagiarism software to assist in detecting plagiarism.

Listen:
chirb.it/Mheg94

My Response:
chirb.it/0gkMId

Transcript:
The announcement was about plagiarism policy and provides detail of this policy and want to make this policy popular in college.
The man in the conversation was happy with this act for one main reason.
First he tells that if you knew about this policy, a few years ago, he wouldn’t got into trouble. He gives example and tells that he used a same section in the research paper of chemistry and geology class and this kind of violated the policy and his grade were lowered in both the classes. He was very upset that his grade was lowered and if he knew about this policy this wouldn’t happen.
And because of these reason he thinks that this act is very good.

Hi, I thought you did a great job with this one. Your content is very good.You just missed a small secondary detail. Your pronunciation was also good, just watch out for the difference in sounds between v and w. You speech was clear, but you did have some grammatical errors, which I have corrected below. Without as many grammatical errors, I think this would earn a top score.

Hi, another great answer. You did a good job of summarizing the woman’s points. You had a few hesitations with "uhhh"s, but not too bad. Once again, your grammar was a weak point, especially your use of articles.