Possessive pronoun

Is the sentence Hers was critically a performance of great impressiveness the same as The critics were strongly impressed by her performance.

Sorry, but in the first sentence “critically” doesn’t really make sense. You could use “hers” in that way, but only if you were comparing it with another performance by someone else.

I need more help. That’s the suggested answer. I didn’t think it was correct but had to look up to the writers. Thank you!

1. You could use “critically” in the sense of “as regards the critics”, but I find that weird unless used with a verb that includes a sense of judgement:
  • The book was critically acclaimed.
    But when the predicate does not have any connotation of judgement, it would not be a good choice.
  1. In the second sentence, “her” is just a plain pronoun, with no sense of extra focus or comparison; using “hers” connotes comparison, and putting it at the beginning gives it extra focus. So I find it hard to say both words have an equivalent function in each sentence. It might be so if we add some context that strongly impacts the second sentence.

2. “A performance of great impressiveness” sounds like an unnatural though technically correct way to say “a very impressive performance”. It is ugly, in my humble opinion.

So, while I suppose we could say that, if we stretch it, both sentences technically have the same semantic meaning, the first sentence just sounds very weird.