Point to ponder: 'One of the most difficult lessons...'

Dear friends

Please help me understand this quote in simple easy English.
I mean, explain it, please. (Reader’s Digest:June 1988)

“One of the most difficult lessons for ambitious young people to learn is that when you try to make an impression,that is the impression you make. Those whose centre of emotional gravity is deeply embedded are willing to wait quietly in line until they are discovered.”

Regards

Tom

Dear Amy

Where are you? :smiley:

Tom

Hi Tom!

What is that? Philospohy? :shock: :?

Such a sentence I could hardly understand in my mother tongue, not to mention the translating into common understandable tongue :lol:

Michael

Hi Tom

I’ll give it a try:

It’s hard for some ambitious young people to understand that when you try impress someone, the other person simply sees that you are trying to make an impression. Nothing more.

People who are more serious or dignified simply wait because they know their qualities will be discovered.

Amy

Hi Amy!

You are impressing! :wink:

Michael

Amy, thank you a lot.

I would request you to elaborate these words also:

" Those whose centre of emotional gravity is deeply
embedded—"

Thank you again

Tom

Hi Tom

I would understand this to mean " those people whose self-confidence is very strong."

These people would be more dignified in that they see no need to try to impress other people. They are simply confident that other people will be impressed. :smiley:

In this sentence, I would understand the opposite of “deeply embedded” to be “superficial”. True self-confidence is not superficial.

Amy

Amy I wonder from where I shoud bring words to thank you.

Tom