Plz evaluate my ielts essay below

Some organisations believe that their employees should dress smartly. Others value quality of work above appearance.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

It’s true that people now are paying attention more to how to dress up at companies. Others consider that appearance is not as vital as the quality of work. I completely agree that people should focus more on the outcome of work rather than their appearance.

On the one hand, there are numerous plus points to wear elegantly in organizations. Firstly, it will comfort the employees and foster them to work. Their clothes will reflect their imaginaries and also their characteristic. Furthermore, it is convenient for workers to dress smartly that enables them to carry out the work more efficiently. For instance, an employee work in a factory need to move a lot and they just need to dress uniform of company to work. Another reason is the employee’s style will present for the image of the company. For example, multi-national organizations like Apple, Microsoft are well-known over the world. Their staff have always dressed to impress social media or events. It outstands the value and stature of the big company.

On the other hand, I consider that workers should pay attention to their work. Firstly, they should concentrate more on the development and how to make profit for the company. Since the company hires employees to work for them, which means employer put the trust on employees. If workers don’t reach the agreement on the working-contract or regularly meet the deadlines lately, they could be fired. Another reason is dressing occasionally can distract other people. It will compromise others in workplace and lead them to work ineffectively.

In conclusion, it seems to me that a worker both needs to wear smartly and work effectively in workplace, but I think the performance on working is more important than anything else.

Bui Huy Phan

11, 23rd,2018

2 Likes

Hi Huy Phan, welcome to the forum! I enjoyed reading your essay - I tend not to be a very good dresser, so this topic is near and dear to my heart! Your essay format is correct in that you discussed both viewpoints. But I don’t think you adequately justified your opinion. You seemed to write more about why dressing smartly is good, even though this is the side you "completely disagreed’ with. I would suggested expanding your conclusion somewhat to reiterate the specific arguments that lead to you hold your opinion. Overall, your writing was clear and understandable, though there were a few phrases that sounded vague to me, as well as some words that have been used incorrectly. Here are some specific comments:

3 Likes

Thank you so much. It’s really helpful for me.

1 Like

When I gave my answer, I didn’t really recognize why “outstand” is not a verb. “Outstanding” actually comes from the phrasal verb “to stand out” - “This one stands out from all the others, therefore it is outstanding.” I am not sure why they decided to change the word order to make the adjective, but there is your explanation. Notice that something stands out on its own. You cannot “stand out something”. A similar adjective is upstanding - it comes from the phrasal verb “to stand up” but really means someone has a good character.

2 Likes