Please tell me how I express this in English

The teacher gives a question

the students have to quickly raise hand to get the chance to answer the question

only the student who raises the hand fastest could get the chance to answer the question

Is there an English term or expression to discribe this kind of activity?

Thank you!

This is an extremely basic school custom, chachagod-- but I don’t believe it has any name but ‘raising one’s hand [to answer a question]’. At the beginning of first grade, if not earlier, the children are told to ‘raise their hands if they know the answer’. The teacher often-- but certainly not necessarily!-- calls on the first hand seen raised.

Perhaps another member will have a terminology brainstorm.

“brownnosing” (or “brown-nosing”)

I don’t think that is quite what chacha’s looking for, prez:

[i]brown·nose or brown-nose (brounnz) tr.v. Informa. brown·nosed, brown·nos·ing, brown·nos·es

To curry favor with in an obsequious manner; fawn on.

[From the image of an obsequious person whose nose becomes soiled in kissing the rump of someone from whom favor is sought.][/i]

Thank you for your explanation.

Maybe I should put it this way.

I want to know if there is an expresion meaning a competetive activity among students, in which they can get the chance to answer the question by raising hand or ring a bell. And the fastest one or group can get the chance to answer.

Thank you!

Are you speaking about the contest (or quizzing game) held between groups in class, chachagod?

Mister Micawber

I forgot to add the “hehe” to my last post.

To Pamela:

Yes! That’s exactly what I want to know.

How should I say that kind of quizzing game?

(Or I should just use the term “quizzing game?”)

Thank you!

Chachagod … You could simply call it a quiz (although the term can include a more formal test rather than a game). To say the class played a ‘quizzing game’ would be immediately understandable to all speakers of English but it would sound a bit unusual. How about saying that the teacher led the class in a game that took the form of a quiz?

BTW … I don’t know if is true or not, but the story goes that a man once made a wager that he could introduce a new word into the English language in 24 hours. That night he went around town (London?) painting the same word on walls everywhere. The next day everyone was talking about it, wondering who had done it and what the word meant… The word was ‘quiz’ and came to mean a puzzle or question to be answered!

Apocryphal, according to the Online Etymological Dictionary:

1847, quies, perhaps from L. qui es? “who are you?,” first question in oral exams in L. in old-time grammar schools. Spelling quiz first recorded 1886, though it was in use as a noun from 1867, perhaps from apparently unrelated slang word quiz meaning “odd person” (1782, source of quizzical). The anecdote that credits this word to a bet by the Dublin theater-manager Daly that he could coin a word is regarded by authorities as “doubtful” and the first record of it appears to be in 1836 (in Smart’s “Walker Remodelled”; the story is omitted in the edition of 1840).