Please settle a punctuation debate.

Or just leave it as “She sold the blankets around $5 a pop!”?

****In this sentence, I am wondering if I can include an exclamation point within quotes (American style), then the ending quotation mark – then the question mark. The period, obviously is a no-no.

We wouldn’t do this:
EXAMPLE SENTENCE: Or just leave it as, “She sold the blankets around $5 a pop.”?

But can we do this, with the inclusion of the exclamation point as is?
EXAMPLE SENTENCE: Or just leave it as, “She sold the blankets around $5 a pop!”?

Can you please cite a rule for its inclusion or omission?

Thanks.

Your sentence doesn’t make much sense to begin with, largely because it starts with ‘or’ indicating that the first part of the so-called sentence is missing.
From the part that we have been given, I cannot see why a question mark is needed at all.

Should I write in that manner, or just leave it as, “She sold the blankets around $5 a pop!”?

Please cite a rule for its inclusion or omission.

Thank you.

As you have requested ‘American style’ I’ll leave it to someone from that corner of the world.

hi friend!!
i would like to say that…Your sentence doesn’t make much sense to begin with, largely because it starts with ‘or’ indicating that the first part of the so-called sentence is missing. … please correct the sentence…

Your sentence is incomplete. It seems like conversation or informal writing. I think it implies “should I” between “or” and “just.” It seems that you have omitted a preceding sentence that asks what you should do. You can include punctuation necessary to the quoted sentence within the quotes, so you can include an exclamation mark. If it’s not a comma or a period, the question is whether it belonged to the quote to begin with.

This summarizes rules pretty well until number four, which doesn’t take into account that quotes can be interrupted for attribution. quotations.about.com/c/ht/03/04/ … 371187.htm