Please review my TOEFL Independent essay and give your valuable suggestions

I would really appreciate it if you could go through my essay and review it. My exam is in 3 days.

Question:

Some people think that human needs for farmland, housing, and industry are more important than saving land for endangered animals. Do you agree or disagree with this point of view? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

My Response:

Generally speaking, I believe that, for all concerned, in the present scenario, human needs for saving and putting aside land for securing endangered species of animals are much more important than those for farming, housing, and industry.

First of all, in a lot of countries, pollution rates are rising. The life span of humans has decreased by a huge margin over the last century. Air has become more toxic, the percentage of freshwater has dramatically decreased, and more and more lands are becoming infertile. I, personally, feel that humans have reached saturation, at least a temporary one, of building and expanding. Take my own circle, for example, almost seventy percent of the adults that I know either run a business or have at least 2 houses and a plot of land lying empty. When asked, they say it’s all part of the retirement plan. In the name of investing, people are going above and beyond in acquiring whatever space they can. Imagine the world’s population doing this. As the demand for spaces rises, so will the rate of creation of new ones. So, if not for endangered animals, we should take a back seat for some time for our causes.

Secondly, as we can observe, the food chain is clearly out of balance. Every other day we hear about a species of animals becoming endangered. Be it the tigers in India, or African red fox, animals are dying. Some people might be ignorant in thinking this would not affect their lifestyle. Maybe not now, maybe not in another 10 years, but when the bill comes, it would be massive. No matter if the species that are disappearing be predators or prey, it is sure to tilt the food chain out of balance. This can take many forms like over-crowding of habitats, animal starvation, or something similar. This would cause massive negative effects on nature and the environment. If not for all this, with a majority of this world’s population being meat-eaters, I would not think, this would bode well for us.

Finally, as the most intelligent species on the planet, we have to find a way to live with the other species, and not acquire every piece of land on which our eyes can be set. Living is another thing, but being responsible and doing good is something entirely different. It is our duty to help safeguard the natural habitat of the earth to ensure a peaceful ecosystem. If everyone were to act on their whims and desires, we might not be doing as well as we are doing now. A little bit of compassion and sensibility from people would go a long way in protecting the biosystem of the earth.

In conclusion, through the reasons discussed above, I would like to reinforce my stance that saving land for endangered animals is much more important during this day and age than trying to improve and increase farmland, housing, industry, and other similar human sectors. We must realize that they have an equal right to life on this planet to us and respect that. If not for their sake, at least for our sake.

2 Likes

Hi, please find an amended version of your essay below:

In general, I believe that in the present scenario, for all concerned, the human need to preserve and provide land for the security of endangered species is much more important than that for agriculture, housing and industry.

First of all, pollution is increasing in many countries. Human life expectancy has declined sharply in the last century. The air has become more toxic, the amount of fresh water has decreased dramatically, and more and more soil is becoming infertile. Personally, I feel that people have reached at least a temporary saturation in building and expanding. Take my own circle of acquaintances, for example: almost seventy percent of the adults I know either run a business or have at least two houses and a piece of land that is vacant. If you ask them, they say it’s all part of retirement planning. In the name of investing, people are going above and beyond by acquiring any space they can. Imagine if the entire world population did that. As the demand for space increases, so will the rate of creation of new space. So, if not for endangered animals, we should take a step back for some time for our purposes.

Second, as we can observe, the food chain is clearly out of balance. Every other day we hear about a species that is threatened with extinction. Be it the tigers in India or the African red fox, animals are going extinct. Some people may be ignorant and think that this would not affect their lifestyle. Maybe not now, maybe not in another 10 years, but when the bill comes, it would be massive. Regardless of whether the disappearing species are predators or prey, it is certain that the food chain will be thrown out of balance. This can take many forms, such as overpopulation of habitats, starvation of animals, or the like. This would have a massive negative impact on nature and the environment. Since the majority of the world’s population are meat eaters, I would not think this would bode well for us.

After all, as the most intelligent species on the planet, we have to find a way to live with the other species and not acquire every piece of land our eyes can lay on. Living is one thing, but being responsible and doing good is quite another. It is our duty to help secure the earth’s natural habitat to ensure a peaceful ecosystem. If everyone acted according to their whims and desires, we might not be doing as well as we are now. A little compassion and sensitivity on the part of humans would go a long way in protecting the Earth’s biosystem.

In conclusion, through the above reasons, I would like to reiterate my stance that saving land for endangered animals is much more important in today’s world than trying to improve and increase farmland, housing, industry and other similar human areas. We must recognize that they have an equal right to live on this planet as we do and respect that. If not for their sake, at least for ours.

2 Likes

Dear Torsen,
THank you for the review, how would you rate my native essay?

1 Like

I am confident that you will achieve the required score to enroll in the university program you are seeking.

1 Like

Dear Torsten,
Thank you so much. This instills a lot of confidence.

1 Like