Please help me. go out/ get out. Many thanks

May I ask a question. I don’t know how to explain to my students when someone still uses " get out" to say in the case they want to ask someone else to go out of a place. They said that the heard from a native speaker he/ she always uses get out to say instead of “go out” however, I think “go out” is more exact than " get out" please help me.

I’d say that ‘go out’ is less impolite than ‘get out’.

Literally, “go out” is the opposite of “go in” and " get out" is the opposite of “get in.”
In general terms, ‘go out’ is a more polite way to ask someone to move outside, whereas ‘get out’ is often used when someone is annoyed or there is a sense of urgency, and it carries more of a sense of being an order.
However, the difference is subtle, and tone of voice matters a lot. Typically, you might calmly say phrases with “go out” (Can you go out and fetch my book from the car for me please?) and shout or have an angry tone when you say “get out” (Get out, I don’t want to see you again until you’ve finished the chores.) but that is NOT always the case. For example, among friends who are gently teasing each other, one may turn to the other and say ‘get out’ in a warmhearted way - when doing this, they might not even want to convey the person should actually leave. They’re just joining in the banter.

This last mentioned use of ‘get out’ used in a jocular manner perhaps needs a bit more explanation. It is used in a highly idiomatic way (often extended to ‘get out of it’) to suggest something like - You cannot be serious/You must be joking/I don’t believe you when someone is telling a story that is hard to believe.

Actually that is another use, and not the one to which I was referring. In the instances I am thinking of, the meaning is more literally ‘get out of the room’, even though no one thinks it is your intention to tell someone to leave.
As I said, tone of voice is very important. Perhaps I should have added that context is too.

I have a very bad memory about ‘get out of here!’
Somebody told me who is a very close relative of me and he could speak only in English as he is an American, shouted at me once: “Shut up! Get out of here!”

Then I never heard this phrasal verb but from the context I understood its meaning.

It would be very difficult to explain how it happened.

The person said to me as he used to have a fixed idea and he thought that he could prove that it is right. His fixed idea concerned his little daughter who was innocent and I knew surely that he could not blame his daughter. I wanted to help him that he misunderstood something and he began to shouted at me “Shut up! Get out of here”

I went out but tearfully. 18 years went away but I will never forget it. Of course, I excused but when I hear “get out” it always occurs to me.

The tone of your relative’s voice coupled with your having gone out tearfully clearly indicates the unpleasant context. Usually this expression is being used more for displaying one’s ire or annoyance than for meaning what it actually is.

Both these utterances (Shut up! Get out of here!) will normally wound the self respect of any person. Those who use such expressions do not bother about how offended the targeted person feels. The onlookers may rate them as uncivilized. We had better avoid using it.

Yes, Anglophile, you are right.

Unfortunately, I came upon by chance this site. Sometimes, people say anything happens accidentally.

I could not help sharing the story when I saw this word. And the associations came.

As I said that it happened 18 years ago. His little daughter who I tried to defend since then became a very smart and beautiful girl she studies informatics and mathematics at a University.

Of course, she never got to know this event I never mentioned this to her.

However, I shared my other problem only with one of my colleagues who became psychologists. I shared as this man has a son also. And he caused a greater trouble to his son which could be avoided if he would not be obstinate. His son was only one-year-old when he “diagnosed” that his son is left-handed.

I am an expert in this and I had to say to him that I used to learn in the college -where I learned the method how to teach mentally disabled children - that a one-year-old child uses both hands. I asked him to wait for diagnosing whether he is left handed or right handed. But I could not convince him. His one-year-old son used both hands as every child of same age.

But he didn’t let him use his right hand. If he found out something he insisted on it. When his son got the spoon with his right hand he put it in his left hand. It was terrible for me to see. Then I asked this psychologist who used to be my classmate. She said to me that it’s easy to diagnose whether he is left-handed or right. I knew that forcing a child to change the hands and write not dominant-handed can have very bad effects in later life as well as it can become traumatic later on.

She told me to go home and give a coke bottle to the boy and show him to screw the cap off. If he screws off with his right hand he is right-handed.
I did and he screwed it off with the right hand. I told his father this. But he didn’t believe he didn’t let him drawing and eat with his right hand.

So he became left-handed.

But when he was six years old they wanted to learn to play the violin.
They bought for him a left-handed violin. And the problem happened then. The boy was unable to use the bow by his left-hand. They had to change the violin for a right-handed violin. Then the mother told me that you were right as my son really right handed.

I crossed my finger for him that he gets away unharmed. Everything was okay till he became eighteen years old. But the problems appeared when he went to university.

I began to read case studies and I saw that the problems with him are same than adults who say the parents didn’t allow them to use their dominant hand. Bad effects will not definitely occur in all people but this boy didn’t get away with it.

Recently I met accidently this psychologist with whom I had shared this problem. And she was taken aback and told me:
I have never heard that forcing a right-hander to change and use their left hand. Only this happens, on the contrary, forcing a left-hander to use his right hand. Why did he force him? I could not answer only I said to her it’s a good question.

I have never put this story into English. Nobody dares to face the truth. This very smart boy has every kind of difficulties. He left his university and he doesn’t find his place in the society. He is at home and he lost his friends and he became a very lonely young man.

I am heartbroken. I can’t help him. They did not accept any piece of advice.

OMG! How cruel it was! I empathize with you, Kati. I can understand how terribly you are disappointed. The world is sometimes merciless. Let’s pray for that young man.

Thank you. It helped me to write it in English as I found a scientific link where it is analyzed what can cause the change the cerebral hemisphere of the brain. As I used to learn that who changes handedness he/she changes the dominant hemisphere.

As the left-handed person has a dominant right hemisphere.
And the right-handed person has a dominant left hemisphere.

So this is the reason that it can cause mental problems later on.

This scientific paper was curious of my opinion. And I didn’t have the energy to write it again but I copied the part of my letter which concerned the handedness.

So they promised that they will answer me.

If you are interested in the link as you are an Anglophile, here you are:
anythinglefthanded.co.uk/bei … ent-279057

I read and found it quite informative, particularly the effects reported by the affected. Thank you.

Thanks & you’re welcome.