Please help edit my TOEFL essay! Many thanks!

Nowadays, it is said that government should give financial support to people. However, people often argue about which group the government should give support to. Which of the following groups do you think is the most important for the government to support?
-Older people who no longer work(eg. those who are more than 70 years old )
-young families with small children
-workers who have recently lost their jobs.

People are appealing that government should offer financial assistance to the following groups of people who are over 70 years old and no longer working, lost their jobs recently, and young families with small children. If the financial support is available exclusively to one group of people, I think that the older people are most significant for the government to support.

There are few working opportunities for older people and most of them live relying on a small amount of pension after retiring. It might be sufficient for them to buy necessities such as food and clothes, but they probably do not have spare money to buy extra electricity or other needed merchandise. Furthermore, even they are still able to work, companies hardly employ them on the grounds that young people are more vigorous and enthusiastic. To be more specific, serious diseases like hypertension are common in older people, which will worsen if they do not have ample rest. However, young people are more likely to work continuously under high pressure for 8 hours or more. For example, according to my companies rules, difficulties, which are usually occurred unexpectedly, are needed to be coped with immediately to avoid substantial loss. In this case, our group leader will gather all the team members in an attempt to work on a feasible solution in spite of working until midnight. Hence, the government should financially support older people who are over 70 years old.

Those who are not qualified for a pension, they rely on their children. So financial support toward older people goes far beyond helping the group of older people; it is more about helping the whole society. Besides, both young families with small kids and unemployer people shoulder the responsibility of taking care of their elderly parents. Back in the day that I and my brother were in primary school, my grandma suddenly suffered a stroke and left her unable to walk and speak. After spending a lion’s share of their saving for my grandma’s operation, my parents barely had money to pay for my and my brother’s tuitions, not to mention hiring someone to take care of my disabled grandma. Hence, my mother was forced to quit her job to take care of my grandma and my father worked for two jobs simultaneously. At that time, I was wonder if the government provided financial support for older people, my mum would be able to continue to work and my father could have more rest. As a result, I earnestly hope that older people could obtain financial assistance from the government.

In summary, financial supporting should be given to older people, not only is it in favor of the group of older people, but also in the benefit of young families with small children as well as the jobless, by means of reducing their pressures on finance.

2 Likes

Please find an amended version of your essay below:

It is appealed that the government should offer financial support to the following groups of people: People who are over 70 and no longer working, who have recently lost their jobs, and young families with young children. If the financial support is available exclusively for one group of people, I think the elderly are the most important for the government to support.

There are few job opportunities for the elderly, and most of them live on a small amount of their pension after retirement. It may be enough for them to buy necessities like food and clothing, but they probably don’t have money left over to buy extra electricity or other needed goods. And even if they are still able to work, companies are unlikely to hire them because young people are stronger and more enthusiastic. To be more specific, serious diseases such as high blood pressure are common in older people, and they get worse if they don’t get enough rest. Young people, on the other hand, are more likely to work 8 hours or more continuously under high pressure. For example, according to my company’s rules, difficulties, which usually occur unexpectedly, must be dealt with immediately to avoid significant losses. In this case, our group leader will gather all team members and try to work out a workable solution despite working until midnight. Therefore, the government should provide financial support to elderly people who are over 70 years old.

Those who do not qualify for a pension depend on their children. Thus, financial support for the elderly goes far beyond helping the elderly group; it is more about helping the whole society. Moreover, both young families with young children and the unemployed have a responsibility to care for their elderly parents. Back when I and my brother were still in elementary school, my grandmother suddenly suffered a stroke that left her unable to walk or talk. After spending most of their savings on my grandmother’s surgery, my parents had hardly any money left to pay the tuition for me and my brother, let alone hire someone to take care of my disabled grandmother. Therefore, my mother was forced to quit her job to take care of my grandma, and my father worked for two jobs at the same time. At that time, I wondered if the government would provide financial support for the elderly so that my mother could continue to work and my father could have more peace of mind. So I sincerely hope that elderly people could get financial support from the government.

In summary, financial support for the elderly should not only benefit the elderly group, but also young families with young children as well as the unemployed to reduce their financial pressure.

2 Likes