plate "outskirts"


I would like to ask a lexical question:

How do you call the outer part of a plate, not exactly the centre, the space for a side dish or so?
I think that “the edge of a plate” is the thin, outermost part (for example where the decoration usually is) of a plate but I cannot think of any other more suitable word for it. Can you help?

thank you

We really get all sorts of weird and wonderful questions on these forums. :slight_smile:

As far as I know, the depression in the centre is the “well” the food area, the outside part is the rim or lip. I don’t think there’s a specific name for the off-centre part of the well.