Personal history statement

Personal History
My father runs a small business and my mother is a home maker. Having had only modest education, it has always been my parent’s dreams that their children pursue higher studies and grow up to become successful professionals, contributing to self and society. During my childhood, my father always mentioned about the social respect that an engineer, a scientist, a professor or a doctor enjoys over a business person. Towards this end, despite hi limited income, he admitted us in the best school in my town that adopted English as medium of instruction and has been known for its high academic standards. Besides, my elder brother has always supported me, acting as a guide and mentor. It was a good ground for me to develop during the formative years of my life.
It was in my mid school that I started enjoying studying social sciences and sciences. Being a member of the Indian rural setup and a direct witness to the sharp transformation in the Indian society due to socio-economic changes, I realised that social sciences and sciences are two sides of a same coin: both go hand in hand for the welfare of society. I opted for the science stream. In it, I saw a way by which I could not only acquire knowledge to enlighten my spirits, but also return something impactful to the society by means of innovations in biological sciences.
In addition to this, I have a dream to work for some Non-profit community groups that work for providing education to under privileged sections of society. I wish I had sufficient resources to open schools that provide free and quality education in rural parts of India. I think Education is the only way for enlightenment and betterment of the society.
Everyone faces challenges in the pursuit for success and I was no exception to this. First, in order to create a niche for me in this competitive world, I worked really hard to qualify for undergrad, post graduation at the best colleges in India and subsequently for GRE, TOEFL for my graduate studies. It is my earnest hope that the continuous efforts that I have put in the last 10 years will result in obtaining admission to the doctoral program in your prestigious university
Secondly, I have struggled many a times due to limited resources and lack of sufficient information and guidance on avenues for higher studies. Obtaining professional education especially in sciences is expensive. During my studies I cut down all the extravagant expenses. Food and education is the sole motive and it is a continuous struggle to achieve the same. Being a part of middle class I had realised the value of money and sacrifice.
But every dark cloud has a silver lining. I got the opportunity to prove my dedication to studies. I always performed well in academics, have been recognised many a times for my presentation skills and technical knowledge. I always made best use of opportunities that came along such as science exhibitions, quizzes and other events at school. During my tenure at university I was nominated to the Biochemical Association of the university. It helped me expand my horizons.

I have always wished to be an active member of research and academics. After my doctoral studies, I wish to achieve the zenith in research by innovating something novel for mankind and society. As mentioned earlier, I wish to payback to mother country by being a part of an organisation that works for education and health of the under privileged sections of the society. I especially want to inculcate among children, a love for science and its applications. PURSUING GRADUATE STUDIES FROM UNITED STATES AND ESTEEMED UNIVERSITY OF YOURS, will train me in aspects that will help me in my journey through life to achieve the objectives that I outlined above.

Personal History
My father runs a small business and my mother is a home maker. Having had only modest education, it has always been my parent’s dreams that their children pursue higher studies and grow up to become successful professionals, contributing to self and society. During my childhood, my father always mentioned about the social respect that an engineer, a scientist, a professor or a doctor enjoys over a business person. Towards this end, despite hi limited income, he admitted us in the best school in my town that adopted English as medium of instruction and has been known for its high academic standards. Besides, my elder brother has always supported me, acting as a guide and mentor. It was a good ground for me to develop during the formative years of my life.
It was in my mid school that I started enjoying studying social sciences and sciences. Being a member of the Indian rural setup and a direct witness to the sharp transformation in the Indian society due to socio-economic changes, I realised that social sciences and sciences are two sides of a same coin: both go hand in hand for the welfare of society. I opted for the science stream. In it, I saw a way by which I could not only acquire knowledge to enlighten my spirits, but also return something impactful to the society by means of innovations in biological sciences.
In addition to this, I have a dream to work for some Non-profit community groups that work for providing education to under privileged sections of society. I wish I had sufficient resources to open schools that provide free and quality education in rural parts of India. I think Education is the only way for enlightenment and betterment of the society.
Everyone faces challenges in the pursuit for success and I was no exception to this. First, in order to create a niche for me in this competitive world, I worked really hard to qualify for undergrad, post graduation at the best colleges in India and subsequently for GRE, TOEFL for my graduate studies. It is my earnest hope that the continuous efforts that I have put in the last 10 years will result in obtaining admission to the doctoral program in your prestigious university
Secondly, I have struggled many a times due to limited resources and lack of sufficient information and guidance on avenues for higher studies. Obtaining professional education especially in sciences is expensive. During my studies I cut down all the extravagant expenses. Food and education is the sole motive and it is a continuous struggle to achieve the same. Being a part of middle class I had realised the value of money and sacrifice.
But every dark cloud has a silver lining. I got the opportunity to prove my dedication to studies. I always performed well in academics, have been recognised many a times for my presentation skills and technical knowledge. I always made best use of opportunities that came along such as science exhibitions, quizzes and other events at school. During my tenure at university I was nominated to the Biochemical Association of the university. It helped me expand my horizons.

I have always wished to be an active member of research and academics. After my doctoral studies, I wish to achieve the zenith in research by innovating something novel for mankind and society. As mentioned earlier, I wish to payback to mother country by being a part of an organisation that works for education and health of the under privileged sections of the society. I especially want to inculcate among children, a love for science and its applications. PURSUING GRADUATE STUDIES FROM UNITED STATES AND ESTEEMED UNIVERSITY OF YOURS, will train me in aspects that will help me in my journey through life to achieve the objectives that I outlined above.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture by a professor of Sociobiology