Perfume

I love perfume and deodorant.

My brands are Boss, Lacoste, Diesel, Denim, Drakkar Noir, Old Spice, Romance and Fahrenheit.

Among them Old Spice makes me feel superior.

They make me feel confident. And stay active and fresh.

Of course they are chemical compounds which manipulate our minds.

I watched Perfume the other day. Quite a good film but a bit childish.

Have you seen it?

Have fun.

Oh, I use Drakkar Noir when I have sex.

History of perfume

Egyptian scene depicting the preparation of Lily perfume, 4th century BC

The word perfume used today derives from the Latin per fumum, meaning “through smoke.” Perfumery, or the art of making perfumes, began in ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt and was further refined by the Romans and Persians.

The world’s first recorded chemist is considered to be a woman named Tapputi, a perfume maker who was mentioned in a cuneiform tablet from the 2nd millennium BC in Mesopotamia.[2] She distilled flowers, oil, and calamus with other aromatics then filtered and put them back in the still several times.[3]

In 2005,[4] archaeologists uncovered what are believed to be the world’s oldest perfumes in Pyrgos, Cyprus. The perfumes date back more than 4,000 years. The perfumes were discovered in an ancient perfumery. At least 60 stills, mixing bowls, funnels and perfume bottles were found in the 43,000-square-foot (4,000 m2) factory.[5] In ancient times people used herbs and spices, like almond, coriander, myrtle, conifer resin, bergamot, as well as flowers.[6]
Etruscan perfume vase shaped like a female head, 2nd century BC

The Arab chemist, Al-Kindi (Alkindus), wrote the Book of the Chemistry of Perfume and Distillations in the 9th century, which contained more than a hundred recipes for fragrant oils, salves, aromatic waters and substitutes or imitations of costly drugs. The book also described 107 methods and recipes for perfume-making and perfume making equipment, such as the alembic (which still bears its Arabic name).[7]

The Persian chemist Ibn Sina (also known as Avicenna) introduced the process of extracting oils from flowers by means of distillation, the procedure most commonly used today. He first experimented with the rose. Until his discovery, liquid perfumes were mixtures of oil and crushed herbs or petals, which made a strong blend. Rose water was more delicate, and immediately became popular. Both of the raw ingredients and distillation technology significantly influenced western perfumery and scientific developments, particularly chemistry.

The art of perfumery was known in western Europe ever since 1221, if we consider the monks’ recipes of Santa Maria delle Vigne or Santa Maria Novella of Florence, Italy. In the east, the Hungarians produced in 1370 a perfume made of scented oils blended in an alcohol solution at the command of Queen Elizabeth of Hungary, best known as Hungary Water. The art of perfumery prospered in Renaissance Italy, and in the 16th century, Italian refinements were taken to France by Catherine de’ Medici’s personal perfumer, Rene the Florentine (Renato il fiorentino). His laboratory was connected with her apartments by a secret passageway, so that no formulae could be stolen en route. Thanks to Rene, France quickly became one of the European centers of perfume and cosmetic manufacture. Cultivation of flowers for their perfume essence, which had begun in the 14th century, grew into a major industry in the south of France. Between the 16th and 17th century, perfumes were used primarily by the wealthy to mask body odors resulting from infrequent bathing. Partly due to this patronage, the perfumery industry was created. In Germany, Italian barber Giovanni Paolo Feminis created a perfume water called Aqua Admirabilis, today best known as eau de cologne, while his nephew Johann Maria Farina (Giovanni Maria Farina) in 1732 took over the business. By the 18th century, aromatic plants were being grown in the Grasse region of France, in Sicily, and in Calabria, Italy to provide the growing perfume industry with raw materials. Even today, Italy and France remain the center of the European perfume design and trade.

Ref. Wiki.

Hi,

I watched the movie a long time ago, so it is hard for me to recall all the details. What I do remember is that it irritated me quite a bit. The production was good, most of the actors gave a decent performance (although not great) and it had a good, dark atmosphere. But the story was slow-going, at least for me; I just didn’t like the pace of it. There was the scene with the main character as a newborn that annoyed me: he was catching the scent of a finger, so he grabs the finger and pulls it under his nose to take a deeper breath. No newborn would ever do that; it would have been enough to show us that he was able to smell the finger and scrap the rest. Sometimes less is more. OK, I thought, the filmmakers wanted to make sure that we all understand, so I kept watching. But the ending made me feel sorry that I did. It was as bizarre and silly as can be!

My humble opinion.

“Oh, I use Drakkar Noir when I have sex.”

Ok. My dear! shouldn’t you use it a little earlier?

:)))

Yeah, I believe the film should be more enthralling if it was more compact. Short and sweet, they say.

Maybe the makers themselves got into it too deep and they lost their mastery.

Of course, here ’ when means minutes before. And minutes after. To hide my lover’s odour on me when I go home.

Have fun.

You can say that again.

Why so called professionals are always doing that to us, the blokes?

Do they think we have two heads?

That’s why we presume they are half head (s ) oh, dear.

Being natural is a superiority?

Have fun.

Every man has one head. If you want to outsmart him, have yourself two heads. And look at yourself in the mirror. How do you look with two heads now?

That’s why I admire you. A beautiful woman with lots of brains.

You’re treasure.

Have fun.

Have you got a boyfriend? Now?

LOL, nice catch, Alicja!

I wrote a limerick I call Perfume
because it’s about perfume:

Perfume

Here’s some advice:
before to entice,
during to add spice,
and after to kill lice.
When it turns red,
. . . put it on ice.
Now, doesn’t that feel nice?

Just as a precaution.

Oh, gosh . . . And it isn’t even late yet.

They think we are blokeheads . . . uh, blockheads.

Awww, thank you, my dear! Why do you ask? Want to be my knight?!

Hmm, to be your knight?

I must say ’ just curious.

Hahaha.

during to add spice,<<

I do that.

But I don’t want to go into details. It’s rather sticky.

Have fun.

In fact only the tigers do that. The Romeos don’t do that.

Shhh…

Have fun.

Sometimes it’s good to be sticky.