Perfect time

Hi,

In my latest newsletter I’ve tried to explain why the tense that I’ve used just now is called the Present Perfect Simple. Seems strange doesn’t it to mix present and past together? If you’re interested, read my letter and I hope it becomes clearer.

english-test.net/newsletter/ … e-198.html

Alan

Simple Perfect
Hi Alan Townend,
Perfect! You’ve done a perfect job of explaining the tense. You’ve all along been doing so well that we expect more of it in the future as you have done it in past.
Regards
Aneeqa

Hi Allan,
How are you?

Actually I already know this tense, but I have just entered the topic to say your essay was great. I am indeed astonished to the way you explained the lesson; it is full of new words and idioms which I did not hear of before especially " enough is enough".

Thanks very much/ awaiting your new essays.
best regards

Hi Alan,
Well, what I can tell you… The present perfect, wow, it’s a really tough grammatical structure to teach. Students confuse a lot; they don’t know what to use, the present perfect or the simple past tense. This has been the third time I’ve taught the Present Perfect this year. I need to use some Spanish so when my students compare the structure with their native language, they feel more confident and do really understand when to use it. I think my students have understood what is definite and undefinite time in the past, which is where we have started since September 30th.
But still some of them struggle when they are involved in a communicative activity so I have to be there writing down their mistakes and sometimes approaching to check comprehension. Teachers must give a lot of practice to students in order for them to succeed in using this tense appropriately. That’s all I can tell you.
By the way, this essay has been as interesting as the previous ones.

Thanks
TENDERSANDY

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for the Perfect lesson.
I am memorizing that Perfect is often recent and use with preposition “for or since”. That is the important keyword to remember.

Furthermore, I would like asking you some questions regarding to writing essay, what is
1- Multiple Consciousness?
2- Social Stratification?
3- Gender Roles?
4- Social/Cultural Resistance?

I would very appreciate if you could answer my question.
I look forward to hearing from you

Best regards,
Sammang

Yes Alan.
You are right. you have said enough. It is clear. I have just read the way to use the present perfect tense and I understood everything. Thank you and have a nice day or night.

hi, Im an english teacher Ive always worked with interchange from jack Richards but now that I moved to a different country I ve seen that they dont sell the books here Id like to ask you what books you would recomend me to use for my English lessons?
I loved the interchange 3rd edition for I know them well and Ive had very good esperience with them, please let me know if there are any better books so that I can buy them and tell my students to buy.
thanks a lot.
M. Culebro

Hello everybody,
Please help me with some metaphors for “love, hate, like, anf dislike”.
I need them but I can’t find them.
If you know any, please tell me.
Thanks in advance.

Hello Sir,

I just wanted a clarification from one. Is the usage refer back correct? You have written “I am referring back to something I said and tried to explain to you a short while ago”

Awaiting for your reply

Warm regards,

SANJAY

Yes, I have a question. How does one can have a question after you have explained it so well? :)))

I forgot to say my name. I’m Oksana from Ukraine and I enjoy your explanations very much. Thank you!

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for your message and I am very pleased that you have found the material useful. The tenses in English can be a big problem but they can all be explained in the end. As I am sure your students know, it’s always a question of practice and still more practice.

Best wishes,

Alan

Dear Alan,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help troubleshoot the following sentences re. verb tense inconsistencies.

Have you ever stood on the threshold of a new life but your heart still longs for somethining else? Have you ever walked away on something you had worked so hard to achieve?

I’m looking forward to your reply. Many thanks again. Thanh

Dear Alan,

Thank you very for your brilliant lessons. Even if I have been busy but I will manage time read yours. I am very glad to read your email every week. I wish I would speak English as well as you.

Yours Sincerely,
Somath

Every thing good i do not have question.

thank you a lot

Dear Alan

Plz. correct below Draft

This is with regard to HUF accounts opened with our DP-58100. As there were problem in our Back office software and in CDAS in accepting ‘Date of Incorporation‘, we have activated accounts with its Karta’s Date of Birth.

Below is the list of such HUF Accounts which have been rectified, as the problem is fixed with back office.

i am really thankfull to you because its help me out.

Dear Alan,
I’ve been your loyal reader for sometime. Thank you for sharing your excellent English teaching experience with us.
I have some difficult time using the right tense or understand the difference between present or perfect tense. Let me take some examples:

1. What did you say? What have you said? What do you say?
  2. Have you understood? Do you understand?

Can you kindly explain what’s the difference between them and the correct mood or condition we should be using them.
Best Regard
xiao_lai

Mostly I use this tense easily, but when I try grammar tests on Present Perfect and Past Simple sometimes I can’t define which one goes when.