Pay cash vs. pay money

In February last year the company bought a printing machine from the shop for which the company paid______
A. cash
B. money
C. cheque
D. pounds
The correct answer is A.cash
Could someone tell me why the answer is A ?
I think “paid cash/money/cheque for the shop” are all correct.
This problem is confusing T^T

3 Likes

Hi WAWA0,

Welcome to our forum.
Have you looked it up in a dictionary or dictionaries? If you haven’t, please do so. You might find the solution in there. I don’t know if all of them are legal tender, but the Pound sterling is in the form of coins and notes, but I happen to know that credit swipes or checks are not legal tender in the United States. I don’t know if that is the case in Britain.

2 Likes

Hi Wa, welcome to our forum. We don’t say “pay cheque” but “pay by cheque”. Also, please take a look at these:

2 Likes

Thanks for informing me too, Torsten. :heart:

1 Like
3 Likes

This is a good discussion on the ways in which individuals spend money, but the original text addressed a company buying a piece of equipment.

I think we need to use another meaning of “for which they paid cash”, which is to pay at the time of purchase, as opposed to an installment purchase or getting a loan. It would be a bad business practice to pay with paper currency.

Similarly, someone might ask about my new car purchase:
“Did you get a loan on your new car?”
“No, I paid cash.”

In both cases, even though it is described as paying cash, the actual transfer of money would have been done by check or something similar.

3 Likes