Could anybody tell me if the following are grammatical sentences. If they are, what is the difference?
- I was studying until midnight last night.
- I had been studying until midnight last night.
- I studied until midnight last night.
Thank you so much for the help
This question is simply about the differences in the tenses.
- used to describe an event in the past.
- used to describe an event prior to something else in the past. This sentence might continue like this:
I had been studying until midnight, when I decided to stop for something to eat. By the time I was ready to start studying again it was too late so I went to bed instead.
- as (1) used to describe an event in the past. There is a slight difference in emphasis, but that’s all.