Paraphrase: It is unusual when a performance fix, in an otherwise high-quality

1.Important goals such as flexibility, maintainability, cost, and reuse must often give way to the demand for performance. It is unusual when a performance fix, in an otherwise high-quality piece of code, does not compromise any other software development goals.

The second sentence is obscure.Please paraphrase it. what does “otherwise” mean here?

2.these results suggest that B is favorable for A whereas B for C.
Please paraphrase this sentence.I mean ,what does "whereas“ mean here?

Thanks a lot.

1-- Revising the software to improve performance often adversely affects the other software development goals.
2-- Whereas = while, at the same time, contrariwise (but the sentence here does not quite make sense).

Visame,

It could be just me, but I found using must & often together is somewhat hypocritical; from my understanding “must” is a higher modal auxiliary verb than “often”.

The “whereas” used in (2) is as Mister Micawber explained (while, at the same…); it also imply the state/condition that was previously described.

In your sentence: these results suggest that B is favourable for A whereas B for C.
It can also be interpreted as: these results suggest that B is favourable for A and B is favourable for C — “whereas” replaces this chunk of words.

Leaderofrogue