Our society is becoming more economically demanding by the minute.... Please does it make sense and is the vocabulary and grammar correct?

Our society is becoming more economically demanding by the minute. This also affects health care. As a result, it is more than likely that, in future, only those who can afford it will receive proper treatment.

3 Likes

To me these two sentences sound very good accept for the phrase ‘in future’ although I know it’s common in British English. I prefer the American version ‘Difference between "in the future" and "in future" - #9 by Esl_Expert’.

3 Likes

Thanks again Torsten.

2 Likes

I would use:

• it is more likely that
  • in the future

‘In the future’ is better for sure. I use British English but you definitely need to use the article here.

I would agree with @Torsten .

3 Likes

Thanks Andrea. Your information is very useful. However in the Merriam-Webster I found this:

more than likely idiom

Definition of more than likely

1 very probable or likely: It’s more than likely that this problem will occur again.

2 more than likely not: She will more than likely not get the job.

I hope I contributed somthing too.

2 Likes

Hi Marc, hope you’re well.

The reason I wrote ‘it is more likely that’ is because you had the word ‘that’ in there.

Yes, you can use ‘more than likely’ without that. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you Andrea,

It’s not that I don’t believe you because when I rewrite my sentence without that it sounds perfect. But in the first example I found in M-W ‘that’ is also used. So here’s my version with ‘in the future’ and without that:

Our society is becoming more economically demanding by the minute. This also affects health care. As a result, it is more than likely only those who can afford it will receive proper treatment in the future.

Does this sound better, because it sounds rather strange like this:

Our society is becoming more economically demanding by the minute. This also affects health care. As a result, it is more than likely (that), in the future, only those who can afford it will receive proper treatment.
Or doesn’t it? :slightly_smiling_face:
Perhaps you were referring to the second sentence I found in M-W and there ‘more than likely’ is used without that.
And thank you for asking, I’m well. :wink:

Thanks

3 Likes

@Masme

Hi Marc, I’m sorry if I’ve confused you in some way. I have re-read your passage quite a few times to check :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the fact that you have re-written your last sentence twice.

‘As a result, it is more likely that only those who can afford it will receive proper treatment in the future.’
OR
‘As a result, it is more than likely that those who can afford it will receive proper treatment in the future.’

‘As a result, it is more than likely, that in the future only those who can afford it will receive proper treatment.’ (I think it’s important to put the commas in the right places.)

What about rearranging your sentence like this: (I like this one better :slight_smile: )

‘As a result, only those who can afford it are more than likely to receive proper treatment in the future.’

You could change ‘proper treatment’ to ‘medical treatment’.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Andrea

2 Likes

Thank you Andrea,

I really appreciate your advice!
It is a delicate matter, but that is what a doctor once told me.
As far as my punctuation is concerned, I speak, write and read four languages and each language has its own. I have to check English punctuation again.

2 Likes

@Masme Marc, you’re welcome. Anytime. You’re doing well. Have a great evening :wink:

2 Likes

You too and thanks again.

2 Likes

@Masme Thanks, Marc :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Andrea,

Here’s the final version.

Our society is becoming more economically demanding by the minute. This also affects health care. As a result, only those who can afford it are more likely to receive medical treatment in the future.

I’ll hear or better yet read from you later.

3 Likes

@Masme Yes, I love it. :wink: :+1:

2 Likes