Origin of helpdesk?

Hi, what do you think is the origin of the word helpdesk? I mean you can look up the definition of helpdesk and you will find something like ‘place in a company where support and/or assistance is offered to its users’ and yes, it makes sense to call such a place a helpdesk. But then again, why not call it help counter or a help center, or a support cubicle? Why does it have to be a desk? Maybe this is a stupid or rather stubborn question because sometimes you can’t explain the origin of a word? By the way is there such a thing like a stubborn question or is the person asking the qustion stubborn?
Just some of my recent ramblings…
Andreana

I think it might be called desk because the reception, or the “information person” is always behind a desk.
If You tought of this already, and I misunderstand Your question, then I’m sorry.
Anyway, this is what I guess,
Spencer

The word “desk” is frequently used symbolically when talking about the people and place where certain services are performed. At a newspaper, the copy editing department is often called the “copy desk”. I suppose there used to be one desk to which people would bring their texts to be edited.

I also like Spencer’s explanation of the reasoning.

In fact, we do often call the help desk the “help center”, and you often call the “help line”.

I like it when an American’s voicemail greeting says, “You have reached the desk of Mary Smith. I’m not here right now…” I often leave a message greeting the desk, and asking it to tell Mary that I have called.