order+ object+to/subjunctive

Then the commander arrested him and ordered him bound with two chains.

Since he coudn’t find out the truth in all the uproar and confusion, he ordered that Paul be taken to the fortress.

These above sentences come from Holy Bible. Please tell me why there are written: ordered him bound and ordered that Paul be taken, because in my grammar book the verb: order is in construction: order + object+ to, so I would write: ordered him to be bound and ordered Paul to be taken,.

Or are they the examples of the subjenctive forms in these two sentences from Holy Bible?

Thank you.

All those are acceptable, and “ordered that Paul be” is indeed the subjunctive.

Dear Mordant,
I don’t like this sentence:
1.Then the commander arrested him and ordered him bound with two chains.
Shouldn’t it be:
2.Then the commander arrested him and ordered him be bound with two chains. (subjunctive form)
or
3.Then the commander arrested him and ordered him to be bound with two chains.?

Is this sentence ok:
4.Cutting onions always makes my eyes water.
it should be: makes, not: make in this sentence?

Thank you very much…:slight_smile:

Number one is correct.

Number two should be either the first or “ordered that he be bound.”

Number three is also correct.

Number four is correct. “Cutting” is a singular act and subject and therefore requires a singular verb.

Why the sentence 1. is correct?
ordered him bound -I don’t like it, how to translate it in equivalent words, bound is the third form of verb like: done, given,delivered for example…
thanks!!!

Does the sentence “I want him released” offend you? It’s the same thing. You could not say “I want him be released.” My response to number two in my previous post gives you an equivalent, “ordered that he be bound.”

Ok Mordant. Thank You very much!