Optional test question: Shal we have a farewell party next week?

Hi, please help me with these questions:

1/ At this moment, the team … the game among themselves
a. is discussing
b. are discussing

2/ Shal we have a farewell party next week?

• yes, let’s make … next saturday evening
    a. on
    b. ourselves
    c. it
    d. no word is needed

Hi Nessie

For your first sentence, an American would use ‘is’, but I suspect a Brit would use ‘are’.

I would choose C (it) for your second sentence.

Hi Amy,
Thanks for your idea. For the first question, from the British viewpoint, I also think “are” is more suitable :wink:

May we have some idea of any British person, please :slight_smile:

Hi Nessie,

I think this ‘is/are’ question is a matter of personal choice. As I understand it, if you consider the team simply as one unit, you would choose ‘is’. On the other hand if you believe that the team is a group of individuals (and probably you know their names) you would say ‘are’. This is the kind of situation I’m thinking of: My team are winning and your team is losing.

This is purely a personal interpretation. I can’t presume to speak for British English.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks a lot for your idea. I also want to state mine:
First, I totally agree to your explaination. That is what I learnt at school as British English grammar. And, as for this sentence:
1/ At this moment, the team … the game among themselves
a. is discussing
b. are discussing

=> I choose “are” because I think this refers to a discussion among individuals in the team. It emphasize these individuals discussing with each other and not the team as a whole. That’s my idea. What do you think? :slight_smile: