one too many, two too many etc.

Hi all of you

• Son to his father: Look dad, my revision test was good, I only made three mistakes.

• Father to his son: That’s three too many.

• You invited a 100 guests, yet there are 110 guests, I’ve counted them. -Well, that’s ten too many then.

Can ‘too many’ be used in this way?

By the way someone once told me ‘the how maniest’ existed too, for example: The how maniest are we today? instead of 'What day is today? It’s Wednesday 18th May./ Or It’s Wednesday (the) 18th. I typed brackets, because you don’t write ‘the’, though you do use it in spoken language, don’t you? Can you also say: What date is today? or What’s the date?
The how maniest sounded very incorrect. I had never heard of that.

Thanks
Alexandro

Well Beeesneees, I said I went off to bed, but I can’t sleep. Are you still here?

Good morning, Alexandro.

The father/son conversation is fine.

The ‘guests’ conversation is okay other than that you don’t need the article with numerals: You have invited 100 guests = You have invited one hundred guests.

‘The how maniest’ sounds absolutely bonkers to me. There is no such word as ‘maniest’ to my knowledge.

I wasn’t then; I am now; I won’t be soon. :slight_smile:

Thanks Beeesneees. I knew ‘the how maniest’ were bonkers, but my colleague, you know, the one who uses only one dictionary is convinced that it exists. I should have known, since she makes a lot of mistakes, even though she studied English at university for four years. Some of the professors must have made it clear to her that this does not exist. Now what about my questions about the date? Are those sentences correct? Now I’m off, I have to feed Stanley and Marcello. Mind you, those are not my children, there my two tom-cats. I’ll talk to you later.

Alexandro

Yes.

“What date is IT today?” or ‘what’s the date?’ or ‘What’s the date today?’