One book

Hi,

Can you name one book that once you’d started you simply couldn’t put down?
Mine was Die Leiden des jungen Werthers by Goethe.

Alan

1 Like

Waterland by G Swift.

1 Like

You’re so romantic, Alan :slight_smile:

It has happened a lot. One book I read in one sitting (at night) and then wouldn’t let me sleep was Michel Faber’s Under the Skin

Take it from the horse’s mouth, it’s great. But don’t read the blurb before you buy it!

Here’s a teaser:

"Isserley always drove straight past a hitch-hiker when she first saw him, to give herself time to size him up. She was looking for big muscles: a hunk on legs. Puny, scrawny specimens were no use to her.

So begins Michel Faber’s first novel: a lone female scouts the Scottish Highlands in search of well-proportioned men and the reader is given to expect the unfolding of some latter-day psychosexual drama. But commonplace expectation is no guide for this strange and deeply unsettling book; small details at first, then more major clues, suggest that something deeply bizarre is afoot."

1 Like

There are a couple of books that I found really gripping and had a hard time putting down. One of them was Orwell’s “1984”.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of American History

There have been several. One that comes to mind is “Stranger In A Strange Land” by Heinlein.

1 Like

Yey. I found a lovely book on Amazon: James Harriot’s Yorkshire. Completely in english. A german version doesn’t exist. I love the dales :O) and i wonder, that all villages wiht “dales” on the end are shortened: Wensley or Swale - from Wensleydale and Swalesdale, for example.
And i read the books from Bernhard Cornwell in one piece, in german of course^^ .

1 Like