On the shelf there are several copies of my book both in French and in Italian

On the shelf there are several copies of my book both in French and in Italian.
Bring 4 copies of the French version and 2 copies of the Italian version.

2 Likes

I haven’t received an answer yet. Is it because there are no mistakes? Thanks

1 Like

There are several copies of my book on the shelf, in both French and Italian.

Fine by me.

2 Likes

Bring four copies of the French and two copies of the Italian version.

I learned that you always spell numbers if the number is no more than two words. If it’s three words then you write the numeral.
Four
Nineteen
Twenty seven

The exception is with formal financial documents like checks. In which case even large numbers will be spelled out.

You also don’t want to mix numerals and text in the same paragraph.

Wrong:
There are 112 people at the party. Fifty were men and sixty two were women.

Right:
There are 112 people at the party. 50 were men and 62 were women.

That’s how I learned it, but I know a lot of people don’t do it that way.

2 Likes

Should ‘version’ be plural in this sentence?

2 Likes

@NearlyNapping As far as I know no. The number 4 refers to the number of copies and not to the number of versions. There is only one French version and 4 copies.

1 Like

I guess I wasn’t clear what I was referring to. I was thinking of the usage “four copies of the French and two copies of the Italian version(s)”. This could be shortened to “the French and Italian versions”.

If you say “Four of the French version and two of the Italian version” then version would be singular.

1 Like

@NearlyNapping I still think it should be in the singular. And I really don’t know. Four copies of the French and two copies of the Italian version(s) sounds awkward to me. Besides, one might get confused and think that there is more than one type of the Italian version. It’s just my opinion.

1 Like