Notetaking exercises

Hello

The following question is only for the moderators ,not for the students of English!

Whenever I come across some new and beautiful word or idiom of English, I make it a point to note it down in my diary-- by the way, which is very dear to me! And then, off and on, I keep on taking the beauties of English and applying them in my spoken and written English(at least I try). I would love to know if you people also do the notetaking excerise? Do you also keep a diary? How often is that you really think you should note something or something is worth noting down?

Tom

I keep a notebook at hand, entitled ‘Word Play’. I have separate pages for homonyms, tongue-twisters, odd expressions, irregular formations, pronunciation anomalies, Janglish expressions, etc-- all in reference to what my students say or ask about, or to what arises in our class conversations. It receives entries and is also used as a reference or sourcebook just about every day.

Hi,
My mother was right,she always wanted me to become a moderator (or a priest)
It’'s too late, I’ll never be alowed to answer this question. :slight_smile:

Spencer

As an eternal student of English, I’m not sure your question is intended for me too, but I’ll answer it anyway.

Like you, I have a habit of writing down all the funny, unusual and interesting words, phrases, sentences, idioms, etc. I bump into. As a result, scores of sheets, notebooks, scribbling pads, bits of paper and computer files keep piling up.

Not only is it good exercise, it’s something I have always enjoyed doing (I also used to copy out everything neatly!). Finally, sorting notes according to categories, as Mister Micawber does (and as I don’t always do myself) is highly advisable.

:lol:

Spencer, I’ve been wondering what priests have to do with moderators. Well, both vocations might have something in common, after all. Perhaps, for some people, priests are moderators between God and us poor mortals?

Even though I’m not a moderator I want to add some comments. Yes, Tom, writing down different word combinations, idioms contributes to enhancing the level of English and this way of teaching is also very effective . Even when I open a dictionary for five minutes I manage to find so many excellent expressions that can make my language more eloquent. And I used to scribble furiously day on end various twisters, aphorisms

Conchita,
welcome back!
Where’ve you been?
It’s just an old saying, some time ago the priest was the most respected person in the neighbourhood.
Just like teachers.
Pulling a match between moderators and priests was one of the bad jokes I usually make in order to be witty.:slight_smile:
Spencer

How was your holiday?

Thanks, Spencer, for your welcome. :smiley:

I had a peaceful, rural holiday in the wild countryside, in the blissfully cooler climate of Northern Spain (Amy’s guess of an Arctic cruise was not that far off, after all!).

Though I happily made do without a computer, I missed you all, believe it or not. It seems you’ve been quite busy here – now I have a lot of catching up to do!

Don’t lose your sense of humour!

Hi,Spencer:
I wonder where your senses of homour come from :lol:

Ok, Since I am not a moderator I just talk to myself. :lol: I have many several notebooks. Small and handy. When I read new words I write them down . In fact, everything intereting and helpful . But my problem is , I have a bad habit. Sometimes I can’t remember where I have put those notebooks , so I have to use several notebooks. :frowning: