Not that I knew!

Hi

In a comprehension passage that I was reading last night a boy tells his sad story of one day when he was cycling and got hit by a car.He fainted. (The next paragraph starts with the given line)

[size=150][color=red]Not that I knew.[/size]

What does he want to say? That he did not know what happened later or that he fainted? Is it an idiomatic expression?

Tom

You have not given us enough context on this one, Tom. Give us the text before and after.

OK, Mister Micawber

Here it is! :smiley:

" As I rode through an intersection, a car sped recklessly through a give-way sign. It smashed my bike from beneath me. I flew over the roof, landing on top, bouncing off and falling unconscious on the road behind. [color=red][size=150]Not that I knew[/size]. I remember nothing. A crack in my helmet suggests why. I am only alive because of my helmet."

Q1: What is a give-way sign? (We do not have it in Pakistan)

Q2: Does the roof mean the roof of the car?

Q3: Not that I knew: Could you please explain it a bit? Is it a complete sentence? What did he not know?

Q4: Landing on top: Does it mean top of the car?

Q5: Road behind: Behind what? Does he mean behind the car?

Ah! I see now, thanks.

Q1: What is a give-way sign? (We do not have it in Pakistan) – A ‘Yield’ sign: if there is cross-traffic, you must wait until it passes the intersection.

Q2: Does the roof mean the roof of the car? – Yes

Q3: Not that I knew: Could you please explain it a bit? Is it a complete sentence? What did he not know? – Not a complete sentence, but a complete utterance. He has just given a description of the accident, but then cautions us that he did not know what happened, actually-- his memory is a blank.

Q4: Landing on top: Does it mean top of the car? – Yes

Q5: Road behind: Behind what? Does he mean behind the car? – Yes.