North Americans have become too dependent on the automobile for transportation

Nowadays, automobiles have become a vital necessity of our lives. I agree with the statement that North americans have become too dependent on the automobile for transportation. Although, there are various means of transportation, but, in my opinion, Automobile is the best. And the reason is that use of automobile saves time, convenient and efficient. Below are the few points I have made to support my opinion.

First of all, use of automobile saves lot of time. In today’s busy world, where everyone seems to be in hurry, time is an important factor and every second is countable. Using automobile, we can travel a long distance in short span of time. If we have to go from one place to another, we would prefer to use our car or some other vehicle to go to that place. This is because, going by car would save our time that we can utilize in some other activity.

Secondly, in this technological era, all of us have become very lethargic. To perform a certain task, we always choose the way which we find is more convenient for us. And as the time passes, convenience leads to dependency.
For example, if I have to go nearby, I would like to go by my car rather than going by foot. So, in this scenario, regular use of automobile has turned into dependency.

Finally, Automobile is also an economical means of transportation. It saves not only time but also money . Suppose, if some friends have to go for a trip then they can pool a car which can save them a lot of money.

To sum up, given all the above statements, we can say that use of automobile is very convenient and efficient. It has really made our lives simple.

TOEFL listening discussions: Where does this conversation most likely take place?

1 Like

Good morning Kitos,

Please evaluate the above essay.

Regards
Sonav

1 Like

This is a decent enough essay Sonav. You demonstrate good use of your vocabulary, but appear at times to ignore the use of prepositions. You need to check their use on the Home page.

Kitos. 8/10

1 Like

In this modern era, automobiles have become a vital necessity for everyone. Some people argue that mankind is not actually reliant on using cars and buses for their daily need. In fact, those people believe that relying on automobiles is a very expensive lifestyle, and it is true that owning a car takes out a big part of someone’s salary. Additionally, maintenance also cost a lot thus many people opt to restrict themselves from owning an automobile. However, realistically majority of the population need to use feels that motor vehicles are crucial to their daily activities as it saves time, it is more convenient and economical means of transportation.
Firstly, using automobile saves a lot of time. As we all have a busy lifestyle, and everyone seems to be in a hurry, so time is an important factor of one’s life and every second counts. By using motor vehicles, we can travel longer distance in a shorter span of time. For instance, workers in all major cities prefer to drive to work rather than using trains or subways, and the reason is for them to be punctual at work. Due to lots of business competitors, employers have strict rules about punctuality of their employees. Thus, people prefer to leave home earlier to skip congestion and be on time. Additionally, children also must go to schools and automobile is the best option for them so as not to be late. Generally, the time saved can be used for other activities.
Moreover, in this technological era people have become more lethargic, and to perform certain task people always choose the most convenient way for them thus convenience leads to dependency. For example, if one needs to go to a shop or restaurants nearby, he/she will use a car rather than going on foot, and this of course turns into dependency. Even peoples’ shopping habit has changed drastically these days with the advancement in technology. It is easier for people to shop online now and their goods delivered to their home which of course automobiles are needed.
Lastly, automobiles are an economical means of transportation as many workers nowadays prefer to carpool along with their colleagues to go to work. This obviously reduces the cost for transportation. To illustrate, these days we have online application base transportation such as, Uber – known and used worldwide -, and Gocar, Grabcar – known in South East Asia – and group of friends or colleagues share the cost of their journey on a daily basis. Additionally, if a group of friends decide to go on a vacation together, they would rather all go in one car rather than travelling by train, and this way it works out cheaper than the fare of the train tickets as they will all chip in for petrol money. Hence, it is evident that depending on automobiles eventually saves quite a substantial amount of money.
All in all, due to our hectic lifestyle, the comfort of easiness and the needs of cutting down cost, people in general happen to be more reliant on automobile which of course is inevitable in this technological era. Hence, are we too dependent on the usage of motor vehicles? Undoubtedly YES and in a positive way!

2 Likes

Hello Ashton, welcome to our forum and many thanks for sharing your thoughts on private car ownership. I’m still convinced that private car ownership doesn’t have a bright future and you can read some of my arguments on this here: The strange logic of traditional car owners

At any rate, it’s great to have you aboard now. If you like, you can tell us a little more about yourself and your reasons for learning English.

1 Like