Newly built houses should follow the old style?

Hi Luschen,

This is my IELTS essay task 2.
Could you please check it out in terms of cohesion & coherence, lexical resource, grammar, task response?

Thank you very much.

Topic:
Some people think that newly built houses should follow the style of old houses in local areas. Others think that people should have freedom to build houses of their own style. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Essay:
People have different views on the style of newly built accommodation. While others think that a new house should be built in the similar way to old ones in local areas, I believe that people should have freedom to choose which style that most suits them.

On the one hand, some would argue that every new house should have the same style of old ones in regional, especially ancient, areas. For example, in Hoi An in Vietnam, new accommodation need to be constructed with the architecture originated from hundred years. Almost all the houses in this area are painted with the same color, or have a similar roof structure, or even are built with resembling materials. By doing so, the town could maintain its cultural heritage and original atmosphere of ancient dwellers, which in turn help the local aware their identity and tourism to flourish.

On the other hand, I still believe that homeowners should have freedom to choose their house’s style. In large cities, youngsters would build their accommodation with their own styles and ideas because they want to show off their characteristics and personality through their house’s outside appearance and interior design. For example, my uncle, a tree lover, comes up with the efficient and reasonable idea of building his own house in a small area with a garden on the rooftop, or my friend, an artificial intelligence scientist, integrates smart materials as well as intelligent virtual assistants to his house. These designs highlight their characteristics, and favorite subjects.

In conclusion, while others may support the idea of the similar structure and style for newly built houses and old ones, I believe that freedom of choosing housing style is necessary for homeowners to express themselves.

3 Likes

Luschen has been offsite for some time now. Let’s hope he rejoins and resumes early. Meanwhile wouldn’t you like others, Alan or Torsten, to check it out?

2 Likes

Hi,

Oh, I don’t know that, because I’ve just come back here.
It’ve changed a lot.

I would be grateful if they can help me to revise my essay.
Thank a lot.

2 Likes