New use of old word

Hi,

Let me share with you a usage I heard on the radio this morning of the word ‘eventually’. The interviewee was talking about the likelihood or not of a country joining a political alliance and he said: This country was already going to be an eventually joiner - in fact a very eventually joiner. Now usually ‘eventually’ is an adverb suggesting ‘in the end’ or ‘with the passage of time’. But in this use it is being used as an adjective suggesting at some time in the future and then being qualified with ‘very’ indicating that the prospect of it becoming a joiner being much further into the future.

Please read my essay A rhapsody of words.

Thank you
Alan

english-test.net/newsletter/ … ds-90.html

You seem to be able to get all interested and enthusiastic about unusual usages of words as long as it happens in Britain. Yet you can’t quite manage to accept common usages in American English that differ from your British usage.
Difference between dumb and stupid
No dirty tricks, Alan. Simply stating what’s there to see.

Hi Alan,

This reminds me of your Rhapsody of Words in which you describe how a new word finds its entry into the dictionary. The use of “eventually” you mention sounds very similar to the German “eventuell”.

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A company president introduces the keynote speaker at a corporate event[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi,

The all seeing eye knows, apparently, that first I was listening to a radio broadcast from the UK and secondly that the interviewee was British. Clearly I’ll have to be careful there’s not a ‘hidden’ camera in my study.

Alan

Can’t quite come to grips with the fact that there is a lot you don’t know about standard usage in American English, eh? :wink:

Hi Amy,

Fortunately you can tell us everything about standard usage in American English.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A company executive opens a PR team meeting to discuss critical situation[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi . in fact every time you suprise me by new words , but in thes time you have taken old words form roots language & i realy first time ihave seen these new words
iam intersting with new word but i have to foucs on basic first then i will find time for myself to learn more
thank you in advance

It’s quite interesting for me right now. I’ve started looking for some non-standard usage of words recently. I see your point, Alan.
But do you perceive this usage of ‘eventually’ as a grammatical error? (yea, basically it is. The word should not function as an adjective). Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue that the speaker made? If it was not, then if it’s not grammatically correct, maybe it can be accepted in terms of some common approval to make the language more fluent or just ‘combinatory’? Do you see it this way? Could it be useful in this way?

Something new for my vocabulary I will try to read more to became a bookworm…

Hi, first word came into my mind is the word yeoman, maybe not so used today, that means peasent, but in origin it defined a wealthy man…I knew other words, now is hard for me to remember them.
About first dictionary, I knew that is a king writing it, sure in a bit different way we know it nowadays, again I am forgetting who was it and his name, will look after.
But the information you gave was great, too interesting, and see how challenging, I am up to look for things due to your essay.
Thank you
Best regards
Alexandra

Hi Alan;
I think english is very difficult. I read daily newspapers and often read books too, but sometimes I come across many vocabularies that I’ve never heard before, so I use the english dictionary to find the meaning. I thank you for the informations that were given in the essay. I am looking forward to improve my english daily.

Hi,

As a person who studied the basic rules and theories of translation (English-Arabic) and vice versa, I am sure that such articles are rich of vocabularies and information that help me in developing my skills. To be honest, I do not like to translate literature pieces of work, but I do like read them a lot especially if they are understandable and easy (clear language) because they enrich my vocabularies. Anyway, I think this article is fabulous and very helpful in terms of using English language. May Allah help me to read one of Shakespeare novels one day.

Many Thanks,
Meera

Hi everybody,
I wonder in our day how the dictionaries are written ? How can amount of people to collect hundered thousand words? If I went to search all words, I would go very miserable at all.If some word comes across you write it and this all day.haha.Obviously very labourous work.
And now I can say my contribution to the thread is “roid-rage” - possesses person on steroids :slight_smile:

I’m so glad to be a member in Your English-improve-groub. It’s much more interesting for me to read and listen to Your stories than a stupid TV-crime-story. Thanks for Your help best regards Dieter Radke!

Hi Alan
is very intersting to know that shakespeare instoduce new worths for describe
momenst, feelings, etc. I think not just help to understand english language
rather other language too.
it is important to know about how shakespeare taught us and open new ways
in all lenguages.
regards
Arigirl.

Dear Alan Sir

Your Essay "A RHAPSODY of words from Shaakespeare was very good.
In this essay you mentioned few of his words like, disheartned, gloomy
laughble, perrusal and etc., You are also seem to be like Shakespeare
who don’t you create some new use of old word and entered in to the
dictionary of our english -test -net to please our learners.

Don’t worry after some time you will be creator of modern english, and you
will fulfill the desire of all.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hi, sir Alan
It is a very interesting essay.

“One thing is for sure, he certainly hasn’t yet reached his sell by date”. I suppose, the phrase means that the issues and questions which were raised by Shakespeare are still very important and essential for our modern society. Am I right?

Thank you.

That’s right Geo. A product’s ‘sell by date’ is the date by which that product should be sold so that it can be used before it comes to the end of its useful lifetime (usually food, before it becomes inedible.)

Diolch Beeesneees.

Croeso, Geo! :smiley:

I wish I were clever enough to return that honour.