New long word ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

Hi,

My little funny has been cracked. Now then what about a genuine example of the longest word. Anyone ready to have a crack as to its meaning?

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM and you could also stick LIKE on the end if you wish.

Alan

Definitely, that ‘ISM’ should be something opposite to DISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM :slight_smile:

Hi!

I wonder whether that word really exists? I mean, for me it sounds double negativ: Anti_dis_establishmentarianism, doesn?t it?

Michael

antidiscrimination (laws)?

How about this:

antidisestablishmentarianismesque

:shock:

:shock: :shock:

:lol: What’s that by Allah ?? :lol:

Herc

Hi,

Who can explain what the word means?

Alan

You’ll have to forgive my contemptuous [size=150]floccinaucinihilipilification[/size] of your word, Alan, but it can’t rival ‘mine’, I’m afraid: [size=200]pneumo­noultra­microscopic­silico­volcano­coniosis[/size] (a 45-letter word supposed to refer to a lung disease). :roll:

encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c … arianistic

worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-flo2.htm

Hi Conchita,

OK, I give in.

Alan

Ah, but can you say it, Conchita? :lol:

At least antidisestablishmentarianism is pronounceable. :smiley:

Right, saying it is another matter altogether! Still, it’s a piece of cake as compared to memorizing it! :slight_smile:

:lol:

An honest, humble and concise definition if there ever was one (for such a pretentiously grandiloquent thing)!

Hi

Just to add several words for your enjoyment :slight_smile: :

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian
honorificabilitudinitatibus
floccinaucinihilipilification
Trinitrophenylmethylnitramine
immunoelectrophoretically
psychophysicotherapeutics
thyroparathyroidectomized
pneumoencephalographically
radioimmunoelectrophoresis
psychoneuroendocrinological
antidisestablishmentarianism
hepaticocholangiogastrostomy
spectrophotofluorometrically
floccinaucinihilipilification
pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism
metaphysico-theologo-cosmolonigology
aminoheptafluorocyclotetraphosphonitrile

:slight_smile:

Hi,

OK I’ll shut up although I’d still like an explanation of what must now be regarded as my pathetic little word.

Alan

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock:

:shock:

I think that we need to an archaeologist to decipher this " hieroglyphs " . :lol:

Herc

Not so pathetic, since, as I’ve read, it’s still the longest English word that was not invented for the purpose of being a very long word. Dictionaries say it refers to the Church of England and means opposition to the separation of church and state.

Antidisestablishmentarianism - a movement that is against the church being separated from the politics? :smiley:

Hi Conchita, Alan.

I knew what “antidisestablishment” meant: the proposed disestablishment of the Church of England in the 19th century, lead to the founding of the Church of Ireland and its seperation from the C of E, and it’s disestablishment from Westminster.

But what does “floccinaucinihilipilification” mean?

It means estimating something as worthless or trivial.

Here’s the link again where to find a good explanation of the word:

worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-flo2.htm

Hi Conchita,

Mea culpa! I couldn’t resist it. The emboldened exclamation marks are mine.

Alan