Never, never give up

I’m Phuong, Quang’s sister, would you mind helping me correct the essay about the topic below? Thank you very much.

Topic: The expression “Never, never give up” means to keep trying and never stop working for your goals. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

There are many qualities that can contribute to one’s success, such as industrious, brilliant, brave, creative and so on. Among all of these good qualities, I think, perseverance seems to rank at the top of the list. In the following discussion, I’ll provide some evidence to support my opinion.

First and foremost, obstacles and difficulties are inevitable in our daily life. No matter what you are doing, running into troubles is very common. For example, on the first day of your job, you may run into traffic jams and that will lead you late for the work. In this case, will you give up and quit your job? I think your answer is definitely NO. Also, it is very common that you are in a bad physical condition when there is an urgent need to accomplish an important work. Under the circumstance, will you give up? I think, for most people, so long as their ill wasn’t serious, it is very likely that they might prefer finishing the job as their first priority. So, running into troubles is very common and never stop working for your goals; it is just the first step toward success.

Secondly, for some great dreams or goals, it is not the one day thing to makes those dreams come true. For example, if you want to become a scientist, you need to learn a great many of knowledge, read lots of books, do some experiments and writing papers. Besides, in modern society, you must be equipped with different kinds of computer skills as well since computer has become an integral tool for conducting scientific research. Sometimes, learning a foreign language is also necessary because you may need to communicate with foreign experts in your research area. Although the occasional miracle does happen, most successes are the results of constantly hard-working and are results of our lasting efforts. During the process of realizing your goals, if you give up at anytime, you will lose.

Last but not the least, it should be noted that the circumstance is changing all the time. Realizing your goal is a consequence of many factors interactive with each other. Sometimes, you cannot achieve your goal at the first, nonetheless, remember that never give up and just wait until the circumstance is beneficial for you to accomplish your goal. For instance, it is not easy to open a shop many years ago because you have to rent a house and you need to prepare enough money. But today, things become much easier because, with the prevalence of computers and the Internet, you can start your business on the Internet. Not only you can save the money for renting a house, but you also have a wider source of potential customers through the Internet.

To sum up briefly, I totally agree with the expression that the sentence “Never, never give up” is a valuable attitude towards life, which can help us through all the troubles and difficulties involved in achieving our goals.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention the weather at the beginning of his lecture?

Hi Phuong, i really liked this essay. Your personal examples are very relevant and convincing. I think the rhetorical questions were used well. Personally,
I don’t have a problem with writing in 2nd person, but I have heard that some graders frown upon it and don’t think second person is suitable for a formal essay.
So just to be safe, I would avoid it. Here are some other suggestions: