My second recording, Just for the voice test

Hello everyone,
This is my second recording and I hope this post finds all of you well & content.

Noren Lee

Hello all,
We say “DHAN YABAD” for “Thank you” in Nepali.

Noren Lee

Hi all,
Can u give me your feedbacks about this recording? I prefer criticism to flattery ones.
Thanks for your opinion and being honest.

Noren Lee
(Now in NEPAL)

There is either something very wrong with your microphone, or with your voice.

Obviously you must feel it is OK, having listened before you posted it, but frankly it sounds like a drunken American down and out.

Several people have listened to this, and all have come to the same conclusion.

Please don’t be offended. You did invite criticism.

Kitosdad.

Hello Kitosdad,
Thank you very much for your review of my voice (opinion). Why should I be offended? Actually, it’s my honor (honour) to have found such a critique from a nice, friendly, helpful person like you.

You said “… it sounds like a drunken American down & out.” Honestly speaking, I wasn’t drunk, I don’t drink these days but I used to a long, long way back, and even that on certain occasions only.

I assume that my voice/ recording sounded LIKE THAT to you and to some of the members. I really treasure your feedback aside from other mistakes/ errors etc. By correcting our errors & listening to other people’s advice, we learn a lot. I think you agree with me on this, don’t you?

Yes, you are right that my system (i.e. multimedia), at that time, was not properly set up. And my voice… horrible, I still need to improve.
Thank you once again, from the depths of my heart, for your comments.

Noren Lee
NEPAL

Noren, I do agree with all that you say. Your English writing and spelling is very good, with few errors, but your voice is so Americanised that it is definitely not understandable.

Pronunciation is always going to be the greatest obstacle to non-native speakers, but I honestly do believe that YOU have to decide which way you are heading with your training, because you do try hard. I do believe this.

You are making things so difficult for yourself by swinging from English to American speech, and in doing so, you are doing yourself no favours.

You have to decide which you prefer, and having done so, practice your word formation and clarity very slowly. I am sure that you have the tenacity to beat these problems, and I sincerely wish you well.

Kitosdad.

Hi Kitosdad,
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I am into the American accent or rather I prefer the US Eng. to the UK ones. I love to write diarrhea, color, tire (for tyre), check (cheque) etc… This is just a little bit of touch on the surface. As long as we can communicate with each other in Eng. or whatever, then I don’t see any problems. Actually, I would like to be a linguist in my own style i.e. to separate the difference between the US and the UK (International Eng.). Well, I need to go that’s because there’s soon going to be a load shedding here in my place. Thanks a lot to you once again for your help and support.

Noren
NEPAL

Hello Kitosdad,
I hope this message gets you well and content. I thank you very much for your feedbacks. Without them, I couldn’t have detected my mistakes aside from others things.
Well, what is correct pronunciation? [color=darkblue]Is it what the dictionaries recommend?
I think, correct pronunciation is the pronunciation used by the great majority of educated people throughout the countries of this world.
Thank U once again.

Noren Lee
(NEPAL)

Hi,
How are you? I am typing as fast as I can since there’s soon going to be power outage (load shedding).
Correct pronunciation is not exclusively charming, nor impressive, nor clear, nor cultured, nor glamorous; it is only two things: Current and acceptable.

Noren Lee
(Now in Nepal)

Good morning Noren,

Pronunciation - Is it what the dictionaries recommend?

Of course not. Dictionaries only function is to explain the meaning of a word, but some do try to illustrate pronunciation in some way.

" Correct pronunciation is not exclusively charming, nor impressive, nor clear, nor cultured, nor glamorous; it is only two things: Current and acceptable."

Again we differ Noren. Pronunciation has to be clear. It can be charming and impressive. It can make you appear cultured, or at least educated to a good standard, but I agree, it cannot make you appear glamorous.

The essential objective of pronunciation is to make yourself clearly understood.Why else do so many of our Forum member strive to achieve good pronunciation, and teachers go to the trouble of even making videos on the subject ?.

Anyway, let’s not blow this out of proportion. It is only my opinion, not yours.

Kitosdad.

Hi,
How are you? I am typing as fast as I can since there’s soon going to be power outage (load shedding).
Correct pronunciation is not exclusively charming, nor impressive, nor clear, nor cultured, nor glamorous; it is only two things: Current and acceptable.

Noren Lee
(Now in Nepal)

Hi,

Noren Lee
(Now in Nepal)

Hi,

Noren Lee
(Now in Nepal)