My name is Hari. I was born in India and now a citizen of United States...

Hello All,

I was born in India and now a citizen of United States. I started studying English from my elementary school. I learned some of my English grammar from the famous Wren and Martin book (High School English Grammar book written for the children of British officers resident in India and hence may be the most popular grammar book in India). It was my dad’s school text book and he gave it to me when I was in middle school. My inspiration to write good English comes from my dad. My dad used to be a consumer rights activist. He used to spend time writing letters and petitions on behalf of others in reasonably good English. I found this board today, liked it and started contributing.

Hari Gangadharan

1 Like

Hi Hari, and welcome to the site.

Whereabouts in the US do you live? How old were you when you came to the US?
And do you also write lots of letters, like your dad?

1 Like

I live in California (in San Francisco Bay Area). I came here 11 years back in my late 20’s. I used to write letters probably 12 years back (before the computers became common)… Now I write only emails, blogs and forum messages :-).

1 Like

Hi Hari

So, you’re a Californian! How do you like living in SF?

I presume you learned English in India. How would you compare the English you hear and read in San Francisco to what you learned, heard and/or read in India? I realize that’s a pretty wide open question, but I hope you’ll give me some of your impressions.

Me too. :lol:

2 Likes