My method of improving English is to watch original movies with subtitles

Hello Torsen :wink:

My method of improving English is to watch original movies with subtitles for better understanding. One more is conversation with Americans, with people whose mother tonque is English. Also reading is a good way to amend some mistakes and to learn new words and beautiful expressions.
See you :slight_smile:

I agree with you that watching original movies is a good method of learning.
But I have some difficulties with this. If I put the subtitles as well I can’t concentrate to the audio part as good as I would like. I think is to much for me at first to concentrate at 3 things at the same time : the action of the movie , the subtitles and the spoken part too.
This is why I first watch movies with subtitles and after that ,maybe in a few days, I watch again the movie without subtitles. And than I can concentrate more in the spoken part.

Try this!
Sure will help you.
Julia

Also, the subtitles are often not exactly what’s spoken. Try transcribing what you hear sometime, and then comparing your transcription to the subtitles. I can almost guarantee you’ll find some differences, and not just because you heard something incorrectly!

While the meaning is mostly the same, often there’s quite a difference in the actual words or phrasing. Still, for the most part it’s fine for checking your general comprehension of the storyline. Just don’t be surprised if you see something different than what you thought you heard.