My first steps in English

Hello everyone,

how are you all doing? I hope everything is fine.
It’s been some time since you last posted a message. I guess you must be on a holliday now.
Here, in my country, summer has just finished and now we are in the autumn season. Temperatures are lower now, thank God. We had a very hot summer this year and it seemed like it wouldn’t end anymore. But now it’s better.
In the school I work we are about to begin the new studying year now. We had some problems adjusting the calendar, so we had to delay the beginning of 2014 school year. It officially starts today.
The problem was we didn’t get to rest much between the end of one school year and the start of the other. I hope this doesn’t happen again next year.
I read Richa’s message about her ship cruise and Megan’s message answering a lot of your questions. You must have been very happy with their replies.
So children, keep up studying because the world of English is full of nice people and things we can meet and discover.
Best wishes. I hope we can talk more soon.
Take care,
Mauricio.

Hello dear Mauricio,

We are not on vacation now. We are going to study in April and May, after that there will be a summer camp at our place. We are going to send some messages from the summer site too.

The problem was that I was ill in April (first time in almost 9 years), and I couldn’t meet children to send messages to the Forum. Now I am back to school and we are having too bad Internet connection to get in touch with you all. We hope that next week we will be lucky enough to record our messages (I am sending you my message from my home now).

Yes, we got wonderful messages from Megan and Richaa, and we are eager to continue talking to them, to you, to Mauricio and to our other dear friends.

See you very soon,
Yuri

Hello everyone,

How are you doing? What is the weather in your country now? We are having spring at our place now. We usually have very changeable weather in spring, especially in April. We are going to send you some photos describing our weather. In the first picture you can see an aspen tree and a birch tree.
The picture has been taken today. Three seasons have met – spring, autumn and winter. It often happens in Buryatia in April.

Do you like spring? What is your favourite kind of weather? Do you like a sunny or a rainy weather more?

We are looking forward to receiving your responses.

Take care,
The 11th A Form

Hello everyone,

We haven’t sent you our messages for a month or even more. How are you doing now? We are all fine. Only the weather is snowy and cold. But we think warm days will come soon.

Today we are learning names of professions. We have had a questionnaire about the most popular professions. It turned out that the most popular professions are doctors, business persons, computer operators, film makers and journalists. But it is just the opinion of students of our class.

We are looking forward to your replies.

Hear you soon,
the 6th A Form

the 6th B Form
Hello everyone,

We are going to send you our new message. How are you? We are fine and the weather is getting better.

Today we have taken part in the questionnaire. Our teacher gave us 31 words and asked us to choose 5 most popular professions. We have chosen a business person, a doctor, a lawyer, an actor and a relief worker. The teacher said that other classes had other opinions.

We hope to talk to you soon.

Take care,
The 6th V Form

Hello Megan, Mujibur, Mauricio, Hensiq, Kati and everyone,

How are you doing? We would like to send you a message in the Present Simple Tense.
It often snows at my place. We can see snowfall right now. We don’t swim in the river in April. Do you swim in the river or in the sea? Do you go fishing? Our boys often go fishing.

See you soon.

Take care,
The 5th B Form

Hello Megan, Mauricio, Mujibur, Hensiq and everyone,

How are you? We have learnt Present Simple Tense. We would like to send you a letter using this tense.

We go to school every day except Sunday. We don’t speak French but we can speak English. Many of us can speak Byryat language. We learn Buryat at school too. Do you speak French? What languages do you speak?

The lesson will be over soon. Now we have to record our message.

Best wishes,
The 5th v Form

Hello everyone,

At last we can write and record our voice message. How are you? We are doing well. The weather is very changeable here. What is the weather like at your place? Today we have learnt a lot new words. They are names of professions. We have chosen five most popular professions. They are doctors, teachers, cooks, relief workers and drivers.

What are the most popular professions in your country?

See you soon.

Take care,
the 6th B Form

Hello everyone,

How are you? What kind of weather are you having right now? Today it is very sunny at our place but yesterday it was very windy. We usually have very changeable weather in spring.

Today is the 24th of April but a week ago it was snowing all day long. On the 12th of April there was a very warm sunny day and some buds in the trees opened. They say that a few flowers in one bird-cherry tree appeared but next day was a snowfall and the flowers froze. What is your favourite kind of weather? Do you like winter or summer best? Do you like to walk when it is hot?

We are looking forward to talking to you again.

Best wishes,
The 11th B Form

Hello Children,

how are you there?

Here in my country, Brazil, it’s getting colder now. We are in the autumn season.
We had a very hot summer this year. And I’m very glad it’s over. I don’t like hot weather very much. I prefer winter time.
But, our winter is not nearly as severe as yours there. Our lowest temperature here must be around twelve degrees positive in the Celsius scale.
By the way what temperature scale do you usually use to measure temperature in your country. I know that in some places they use Farenheit scale. Here we are used to the Celsius scale.
I like to go for a walk on a hot day. But not on a summer hot day because then it’s very hard to bear the high temperature. It’s nice when we have a hot winter day. You may find it strange to say something like a hot winter day, but it’s just like I said. Our winter here is not so cold. And when it’s cold it doesn’t last very long.
I’ve never had the opportunity to see a snowfall. I hope some day I can see it. When I see the snow in pictures, I always feel like being there to feel what it’s like. It always looks like people are having so much fun…But I also know that the low temperatures can be very troublesome too.
I hope we can talk many times more in the future.
Best wishes to you all.
Your brazilian friend,
Mauricio.

Hello Mauricio,

We are happy that you don’t forget us in your so far away an so warm Brazil. It is so nice to have a real friend from the other Hemisphere. It could be very nice to meet you either at your place or at ours. You asked us about the temperature scale we are using in our country. It is the Celsius scale. The lowest temperature we experienced in winter was 48 below zero, and the hottest one was 40 degrees above zero. They say that we have an extremely continental climate.

You have said that you feel like to experience the snowfall. Yes, it is a very spectacular view when the snowflakes are falling in a very still air. Children like playing snowballs, skiing, tobogganing and making snowmen. By the way in Russia we call them snowwomen.

Unfortunately, the lesson is getting over, and we have to finish our message.

Take care,
The 11th A and 11th B Forms

Hello Mauricio,

We are very glad to receive your message. We are all fine, and how about you?

In this country we use the Celsius scale to measure temperature. Though we are so different we have so much in common. Like in Brazil we have a vast territory and a big population. Besides, we like playing football very much/ This year our national team is going to your country to play for the World Cup.

We hope to be in touch with you for a long time.

Take care,
the 7th V Form

Hello Mauricio,

How are you doing? I would like to send you a message. My name is Nastya and I have already taken part in this Forum.

We are in spring now and the weather is very changeable now. Yesterday morning it was cloudy, at 11am the Sun appeared, then, at 4 pm rain started. Today, in the morning, when I got up, it was snowing but now, at 4 pm there is no snow at all.

Do you live far from the ocean or the river? Do you like swimming or sunbathing?

I am looking forward to talking to you again.

Best wishes,
Nastya

Hello children from 11th A and 11th B,

first of all let me congratulate you on your beautiful english speaking. And to say that I fell the same way about having such nice friends from the other corner of the world. I would be honored to be able to meet you there or here, if you can come.
Who knows what the future has in store for us.
You do have a wide range of temperatures there. Here we can experience the higher ones, but not the lower ones you mentioned.
You described your winter experiences with the snow in a very nice way. It made me feel like seeing it even more.
It’s very interesting to know that snowmen are actually called snowwomen there. Is there any specific reason for that?
Well, I’m very glad to talk to you again.
See you soon.
Take care,
Mauricio.

Hello 7th V kids,

how are you there?
Thank you for sending me such a nice message. It’s nice to know that you use the Celsius scale there. It’s the same we use here in Brazil.
So when we talk to eachother about temperatures we won’t be so confused.
Our countries do seem to have a lot in common.

We are very excited about the world cup football games that are going to start this coming june. The opening will be on June 12th. It will be nice to see all these teams coming from different parts of the world. I promise to root for your national team whenever it’s not playing against ours.

Well, talk to you soon. Let’s keep in touch.

Yours,
Mauricio.

Hello Natsya,

it’s nice to here from you. Here I’m doing fine, how about you there?
I remember listening to your messages here in the forum. It’s nice to see how your English is improving every day. Keep it up.

Here I don’t live very near the ocean. There’s a small river that runs through the city I live. If I want to go to the beach I have to face a four hour trip. So, as you can see I don’t have a chance to go swimming at the beach very often.
But I do like it very much. Swimming, I mean. I used to practice it as a sport. But I haven’t been able to do it for a long time.

How about you? Do you have a favorite sport that you like to practice? Remember that physical exercises are as important for our development as the mental exercises.

I’ll be looking forward to hearing from you again.

My best wishes,
Mauricio.

Hello Children,

How are all of you doing? I am doing well. I am getting ready to take a trip, I leave next week. I will go to Germany and the Czech Republic. I’m very excited about it! I get to meet with one of my friends and we will explore several places together. I will share some photos and stories with you once I’ve returned.

Is your summer vacation coming up soon? Do you have any plans for summer vacation?

Take care,
Megan

Hello Mauricio and Megan,

We have not sending our messages for a long time because we have not got the Internet connection. We hope that it will appear soon. That’s why I have to send this letter from my teacher’s.

Mauricio I think that there is no specific reason for calling a snowman a snowwoman. I think it depends on the image of a snow sculpture. It is nice of you that you are going to root for our national team. I promise to root for the Brazilian team too. They show one of the best football strategies in the world. We hope that our teams will meet in the final.

Megan, you are so happy to have an opportunity to go to Germany and the Czech Republic. We are so glad to hear that from you. We wish you to see beautiful sightseeing places and meet nice people. We are sure that there are a lot of friendly and hospitable men and women there. Also we are excited about pictures and stories you are going to share with us.

I am looking forward to talking to you again.

Take care,
Irina

Hello Megan and everyone,

How are you? We are all fine and we are in a summer camp now. It works at our school in June every year. This year it has started on the 2nd of june.

Every morning we come to school at 9 am. Then we do morning exercises and after that we have breakfast. We have 6 different Clubs here. Each club time lasts 25 minutes. They are Quilling Club, Art Club, Information Club, Sports Club, Technology Club and English Club. After attending 4 clubs we are having our spare time.
At 1 pm we have dinner and go for a walk. After walk we have two last classes in the clubs. At last we have high tea and go home.

I like it here very much!

Megan! We know that you have spent great time in Germany and the Czech Republic. Please tell us something about that and we hope to see some pictures from there.

Take care,
Tanya

Hello Megan and everyone,

listen to our smallers “campers”, please.

Hello! My name is Dasha. I am 6.

Hello! My name is Sasha. I am 7.

Hello! My name is Nastya. I am 7.

Hello! My name is Masha! I am 7.

Hello! My name is Buin. I am 7.

Hello! My name is Ayur. I am 7.

Best wishes,
Children