My first steps in English

Dear Polina,

I’m very happy that you also want to take part in your teacher’s project along with Aryuuna. How are you?

I am not sure what happened to your voice recording, but it doesn’t matter, I am still very happy to see you here.

What are your favorite outdoor games to play? I used to like many outdoor games when I was your age. I still like some, even now. I also play a lot with my dog outside.

Take care,
Megan

Dear Zhenya,

Thank you for your message. It’s very nice to meet you. How are you?

I also like riding my bike. I feel very relaxed when I ride my bike. You said you like math at school. My mom loves math. She was always very good at it. I was always very bad at math. Unfortunately it was one of my worst subjects. My favorite subjects in school were history and English.

Take care,
Megan

Hello Yuri’s students!
Dear children, how are all you doing? Hope all are doing fine and healthy!

How long has it been since we talked! My absence is due to the fact of being constantly busy with my work.
I need to take some free time to catch up on my conversations with each of you separately.
Good to know how each one of you spent the holidays, how progressed in their English studies as well as, also in sports and in music classes. I also know that there is a student with aptitude for theater art performance and who have already made several films.
Well, autumn is already going away to make place for winter. I heard that the snow has fallen there. I hope that this year the temperature is more pleasant.

Well, I wish peace, health and much happiness to you all!

See you all soon,
Hensiq

Dear Yuri,

I found a picture what a famous Hungarian photographer (Tamás Gardi) had taken.
Do you recognize them? They were very popular in Hungary also.

Bye: Kati

Hello Urs, Megan, Mujibur, Hensiq, Kati and everyone!

At last I can send my message to you. First, our Internet connection at school was lost. Second, we had 10 days of vacation. Now we can talk with you again.

Take care,
Erdem

Hello Students!

Hello students,
hello Erdem

Yuri told me on Sunday’s skype session that school will start again this Monday - I hope you are all doing well and are as keen as before vacation to learn good English :):):slight_smile:

And I heard about the special Skype lession with Mujibur from Bangladesh - I’m very sorry, but I couldn’t take part(:
But I look forward to the next time!

Erdem, many thanks for your post:)
What did you do during vacation?
And how was the weather? Was it pleasant or “nasty”?

Here in Switzerland, it has become quite cold now (I mean, at least for us… 4° Celsius above zero, brrrrrr). That’s nothing for you, of course, you are used to temperatures as cold as - 40°!!!

Sometimes it’s foggy here too. On such days, we can’t see the sun, only a grey “sheet of clouds” overhead… But today, it was okay:).

Last sunday, we had a storm, and on the mountain tops there was wind of more than 160 km / hour.
The trees in our garden bent from side to side and lost a lot of their leaves, but fortunately the storm was not so strong here…

But, as you might have heard, the hurrican that destroyed part of the philippines was so terribly strong that it blew away the rooftops, tore apart many houses, blocked streats by fallen down trees and caused such damage that many people died and others lost their houses and are now without food, clean water and shelter:(!!!

So, we can be glad indeed that storms can’t turn into such “beasts” in our countries!

So, this is it for tonight, I hope I hear from you all soon, and have a good time!

Cheers Urs

Hello Erdem,

Nice to meet you again. Do you remember that we changed some letters. As I attached some YouTube songs we can’t find them any more.

I remember that you were very good at chess. I think since you became a pro chess-player.

I am Hungarian. In Hungary there is a very famous chess teacher. I knew him because they lived in the neighbour house. He wrote well-known chess books such as: Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games and Reform Chess.

It was very interesting for me when I heard that he didn’t still have any children, but he had written a book: Bring Up Genius! He believed that in the chess “geniuses are made, not born”.

When his three daughters were born, he began to train them to play chess from her 3 year-old. His three daughters became very famous chess masters. Her names:

Susan Polgar (born 1969) is a Hungarian-American chess Grandmaster. She is an Olympic chess champion, a chess teacher, coach. She was the Women’s World Chess Champion from 1996 to 1999.

Judit Polgar (born:1976) is a Hungarian chess grandmaster. She is by far the strongest female chess player in history. In 1991, Polgar achieved the title of Grandmaster at the age of 15 years and 4 months, the youngest person to do so until then.She became Women’s World Champion. She is the most famous of the three sisters.

[b]Judit Polgar is the only woman to have won some games from a current world number one player, as Anatoli Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Boris Spassky and others.

Sofia Polgar (born: 1974 as Polgar Zsofia is a former chess prodigy. She is an International Master and Woman Grandmaster and is the youngest sister of Grandmasters Susan and Judit Polgar. She has worked as a chess teacher and artist.

They were children prodigy. Their father enabled them to play check with the biggest chess masters on the world.

They are the Hungarian “Три сестры” -(Чехов)—(lol)

My letter became long. Though I didn’t write only the draft of their successes.

Take care:

Kati

Hello Lushen,

My name is Polina. I am 13 years old. I have recently come to Kyren from Irkutsk.

We usualy have four vacations a schoolyear - after each half-term. Our first vacation is in the beginning of November. Usually it lasts for 6 days. But this year they have given us our vacation a little bit earlier. It started on Saturday and continued till Monday, that’s why we had 9 days of vacation.

Usually in Russian schools we study for six days a week. We have only one day off. It is Sunday. And how about your country?

Best wishes,
Polina

Hello Urs and Kati,

My name is Selmeg and it means ‘clear, bright’. I am 12. I have never experienced hurricains and don’t want to. I am very sorry for the Philippino people. I wish them to recover after terrible disaster soon.

Urs, this November is very mild here. We are lucky that it is minus 2-3 degrees in the daytime. But we think the winter will take its time.

Take care,
Selmeg

Hi Polina

Hi everyone. My name is Hoang Le. I’m 21 years old and come from Hanoi, Vietnam. I hope that I could learn a lot of beneficial knowledge to enhance my English, take toefl test with high score after graduating from my university, as well as, having many new friends on the forum.
THANK FOR ALL

Hello Selmeg,

It’s very nice to meet you.

You have a very beautiful name. You are 12, and I am 60 years older than you. But in my age I began to learn English as my grandchildren --who live in America --don’t speak in Hungarian. So I began to learn English for that I could speak to my grandchildren.

This catastrophe in the Philippines is very shocking for me also. Unfortunately, they couldn’t still find everybody who died.

I have two friends there. One of them wrote to me that she and her family are well. But my other friend didn’t answer my letter. I hope he is well. He has a big family who lives different parts in the Philippines. I am looking forward his letter.

I hope to talk to you soon.

Take care:
Kati

Hello everyone,

Two days ago we studied sentences with ‘there is’ and ‘there are’. Now I can describe our classroom and the things in it. For example, there are twelve desks in our classroom.

Take care,
Lyova

Hello Lushen,

Today we have listened to your messages right during the lesson. Our teacher helped us to translate and we new many interesting things about the US education. Thanks a lot!

Best wishes,
Yulya

Hello Megan,

Thank you for your explaining what ‘frosting’ is. And now I know what cup-cakes and sprinkles are. Excuse me but my message is too short because there are some students in the queue:)))

Take care,
Nadya

Hello Hensig,

It is amazing to talk to a person from another hemisphere. I know that Brazil is the biggest country of South America and the biggest river in the world is in Brazil. Am I right?

Best wishes,
Erdem

Hello Kati,

My name is Sasha and I am a newcomer here. I am 11. It is amazing that you learn English language to talk with your grand children. I wish you a good luck.

Best regards,
Sasha

Hello Hoang Le,

My name is Ayuna and I am a newcomer too. Your English is very good. I would like to speak English fluently, too.

Best wishes,
Ayuna

Dear Sacha,

It’s nice to meet you. I admired your pronunciation. It is very fluent and very clear. Can I ask you how long you have been learning English? I am very curious and my second question related to the word newcomer. So you are a newcomer at Yuri class? Can I ask you where you have been studying earlier?

Just now I received a letter from one of my Filipinos. He is usually a jolly good fellow but now he wrote to me:” i am so depressed…a lot of pinoy died because of the typhoon…” his letter evoked mixed feelings in me. I am very happy that he managed to survive this terrible typhoon but his depressed state has made me sad also.

Best wishes:
Kati