My first steps in English

Hello Urs,

It is Ayana. Would you mind sending me my picture with you and my teacher. I am the third to the right in the second row.

I am going to learn by heart an Ehglish song then record and send to you. I will send you the recording next week.

Take care,
Ayana

Hello Megan,

My name is Galya. I would like to take part in this project too. I like English very much and my dream is to speak fluently.

I learn English every day: I read books and listen to English songs. I am interested in British and American culture too.

Best wishes,
Galya

Hello Urs, Megan and everyone,

I was so busy and couldn’t send you a message. Urs, in the picture I am the second to the right in the second row (just between Lena and Ayana).

Today almost everyone went to the circus but I decided to stay at school and record my voice message. I hope to take part in this project more often.

Take care,
Tanya

Hello Ayana

Yes, of course, I’m delighted to send you your own picture.

And I’m looking forward to your song - what a wonderful idea to send me a song, Ayana!
Would you like me to send a song too after that?

I’m looking forward to listening to your next post:):slight_smile:

Have a nice day

Urs

Dear Yulya,

How are you? I am doing very well. I’m happy today because some of my friends will come over. We will have dinner together, then visit and play some games. Do you like to play games with your friends?

I hope all of the students will get used to the school uniform. We never had a school uniform at my school. Many parents didn’t like the idea of a school uniform. What color is your school uniform?

Take care,
Megan

Hello Tanja

Here comes your picture - and I think I “got the hang of it” now, how we count the rows:)
Your teacher and me are in the first row, you are standing in the second row and then there is the third row with Yuri’s former teacher.

By the way: could you remind Lena to get back to me about her granny’s full name? Thanks!

After my visit to Sibiria, I went to Moscow.
And I decided to go to the circus too. It was marvelous! There were acrobats, a conjurer, dancers and clowns, horses, dogs, birds and a very good circus music band - in short, it was hillarious!

But the most astonishing part of the show was when the elephant tamer made an elephant roll around the manege (French word of Russian origin: Манеж) on a big round ball, can you imagine that?

It was forbidden to take photos during the show, but I could take that photo of tiny Tiger in the break.

Children were allowed to take a seat next to it and their parents took a photo… I’ve never seen such a thing in Switzerland!

On the photo, the tiger tamer looks a bit sad, because towards the end of the break, no children were brave enough anymore to sit next to his “tiger baby”…

Have a nice day, all of you!

Cheers Urs

Dear Nastya,

How are you? I hope you are doing well.

What do you do at your music school? I love music. When I was a teenager, I participated in a singing group with other kids. We used to have small concerts at various places. It was a lot of fun.

It sounds like your summer was very busy with your cousins. I hope you could enjoy your time with them, even though they were noisy and naughty.

Take care,
Megan

Dear Erdem,

How are you? I am doing well and very happy. I get to spend time with my friends today. That always makes it a good day for me.

Do you already have snow? I love snow! I have always loved to play in the snow. The Netherlands doesn’t get much snow. Last year we had a little and I played with my dog outside in the snow. We were both wet and cold every day! What is your favorite thing to do in the snow? I love sledding, building snowmen, making snow angels, and having snowball fights with friends.

Take care,
Megan

Dear Nadya,

How are you?

I think you are right about cake. It’s probably quite similar all over the world. I think some flavors or types may be more popular in one country or another. When I came to the Netherlands I noticed that cakes were a bit different. In the USA we like to have a lot of frosting on our cake. Here in the Netherlands, they don’t eat so much frosting. Do you like to have frosting on your cake?

It’s nice that you can help your mom bake cake. I used to help my mom bake cookies. It was so much fun. I am sure you will be able to bake very delicious cakes soon, all on your own!

Take care,
Megan

Dear Galya,

It’s very nice to meet you! How are you doing? I’m happy that you want to take part in this project. I hope you will have fun and enjoy participating in it.

It sounds like you are very eager to learn English. You are studying very hard. You said you like to read and listen to English songs. Do you have a favorite book in English? Do you have a favorite song in English?

Take care,
Megan

Dear Tanya,

How are you? I am glad you could find some time to join us here. What have you been busy with?

Does the circus come around often? Where I grew up, the circus came twice a year. I usually tried to go with friends. I’ve even been to the circus here in the Netherlands. I once got to see a world circus. Different circus performers from all over the world came together around Christmas time. They were representing their individual circuses and performing all sorts of interesting acts. I enjoyed it very much.

Take care,
Megan

Hello Erdem

Your teacher asked me, if I was in one of the Boy Scout photos that I have sent in one of my last posts.

No, unfortunately not, I’m afraid…

So I decided to send one where you can see me in my function as a leader of my Boy Scout Unit (about 80 - 90 members). I was their leader for about 3 years, untill the age of 25.

There you can better see of what colour our tie / scarf is - green and yellow. On one of the other photos I sent before you can see a blue and white scarf.

My son has decided to go to the next “Jamboree”, that is a reunion camp for all the Boy / Girls Scouts around the world.

It will take place in Japan in the summer of 2015. My son will have to go and work in a factory to earn money for the flight during his hollidays… (We have decided that we will give him half of the money needed for the camp, and the rest he has to pay by himself).

All the Swiss participants will wear a red and white scarf - the same colours as in our flag…

Have a nice day, Erdem!

Urs

On a Saturday afternoon we played a kind of play with all members of my unit - they had to solve riddels, find out special things and do difficult tasks to earn points to move the icons on the playground…

That’s me in the middle of my group.
We sang a song together that went like this:
"Are you sure you’ll do it on your hands then clap your hands… with your legs then slap your legs… with your heart then shout “I’m a man / woman”!!!

We two were in charge that afternoon. My co-leader had the younger boys in her groups, called Wolfs", by the age of 7 - 11 years.

Hello Megan,

Me and my Mom usually cover our cake with different kinds of cream. But I don’t know what is frosting. Does this word have something in common with frost? I remember one character from English cartoon. He was a snowman and his name was Frosty.

Could you explain me, please, what “frosting” is?

Take care,
Nadya

Hello everyone,

How are you? That’s Sergey and it is my first recording in this year.

My summer holidays were very exciting. First I went to swim in the Kyrenka river and went to the forest. Once we have a picnic: we put the tent in the clearing, than kindle a campfire and prepared delicious food. They say that everything is tasty when you are on the open air.

In August, when Urs visited my classmates in Kyren, I was in the sport-and-health camp Enkhaluk. We trained hard there: ran different distances, do physical exercises and wrestle. There were different competitions on table tennis, football, basketball and other sport games.

We took part in various performances, quiz shows and Disco parties.
Before living the camp we make a very big campfire and got a lot of fun singing and dancing around it.

Best wishes,
Sergey

Hello everyone,

My name is Aryuuna and I am in the 5th Grade. I like English very much. i would like to take part in this project too.

I like singing, dancing, playing pioneer-ball and volley-ball. I like studying, too. I would like to achieve a good level in English.

Best wishes,
Aryuuna

Hello everyone,

My name is Polina. I am 11. I am in the same class with Aryuuna.

I like helping my mother around the house, doing homework and playing outdoor games. I hope to improve my English, too.

Best wishes,
Polina

Hello Urs, Megan and everyone,

My name is Zhenya. I am 12. I would like to learn English, too.

I like reading books and riding a bike. My favourite subjects at school are Maths and Russian language.

Best wishes,
Zhenya

Dear Nadya,

Cream is also nice to have on a cake. I have often used whipped cream and fruit as well on top of a cake. Frosting is made from a kind of powdered sugar, butter, something to flavor it (like cocoa powder, if you want a chocolate flavor) and sometimes other ingredients depending on the type of frosting. I am sending a photo with some cupcakes I made. You can see the frosting on top, then I added different sprinkles to them. Do you ever use sprinkles on your cake?

Take care,
Megan

Dear Sergey,

Thank you for your recording. How are you doing? I am doing well, thanks very much!

I love to go on a picnic. I went with several friends on a picnic a few years ago. We ate different sandwiches and fruit. We also played some football.

What was your favorite competition at the camp you attended over the summer?

Take care,
Megan

Dear Aryuuna,

Thank you for your message! It’s very nice that you want to take part in your teacher’s project. I hope you will enjoy it. How are you?

Could you tell me, what is pioneer ball? I have never heard of this, or perhaps we call it by another name.

Take care,
Megan