My ** Biggest ** Challenges ** In ** Learning English

Learning English is a journey. In fact, learning any language is a marathon. Every leaner, no matter what stage of learning he/she is at, still faces challenges in understanding the peculiarities of the language. My personal goal has always been to be as much authentic as possible when I write and speak. There have been some ups and downs. I was wondering if you ever asked yourself this question: what is/are your biggest challenge(s) in English right now?
Let’s talk! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::eyes:

2 Likes

Currently, my biggest challenge switching or rather toggling between different languages pairs. That’s when you think in one language but need to talk to somebody in another. I often end up mixing languages which can be fun but often gets in the way and hinders effective communication. What about you, Yanina? I take it you are at least bilingual so potentially you find yourself in situations where you need to switch languages back and forth too, don’t you?

1 Like

You are correct. I am bilingual. My active language is English while Russian is my native. For the past 10 years, however, it has been quite inactive. When visiting my relatives, I find myself constructing weird sounding sentences.
My biggest challenge, however, is trying to approach a more native sound when I write. I still find it hard to avoid “elaborate” sentence structures ad expressions and write better, more simple sentences that would sound to the point without unnecessary “decorations.”
What I found useful for me is reading great pieces of writing (reputable newspapers, quality blogposts, news posts) and imitating sentence and sentence structures, learning some great vocabulary use. My goal is to express my ideas using simple words but with a powerful effect. And that’s my focus in learning a language now.
Thank you for the comment!

2 Likes