Most countries want to improve the standard of living through economic development, however, others think the social value is lost as a result. Do you think the advantages of economic development outweigh the disadvantages?

Hello :blush: Please give feedback and band based on your personal views for my essay :smile:
By the way, hope you had a wonderful weekend :wink:

It is a widely held perception in most countries that economic growth gives people nowadays a higher living standard than in the past, while many people think that the drawback is losing social values. In my opinion, there are disadvantages, sure, but they are minor in comparison with the advantages.

On the plus side, the primary benefit of economic progress is the improvement of public services. The first tangible example is the investment of government in health services so that people can live a longer life, and not be threatened by diseases. Secondly, the increase in tax revenues is mean more spending on educational system which plays a pivotal role in the long-term growth and productivity of a nation, and only if a country grows sustainably is its citizens have a high level of employment and better salaries. Examples like this clearly show the benefits that can derive from improving the standard of living through economic development.

However, for every plus, there is a minus. Some people believe that economic growth causes the loss of social values which are the most crucial aspects of the social system, and also play a predominant role in running and maintaining the social order. Take the inequality between the poorer and the richer, for instance, only children and young adolescents from wealthier families would have access to the best learning opportunities, and they would, therefore, be better prepared for the job market. This kind of inequality would ensure the success of some but harm the prospects of others. Another common criticism of the phenomenon is the rise in pollution which is partly because of the heavy industry growth. In other words, the more concerns for economic advancement, the more ignorance of the environmental costs. Hence, the economic progress can be seen as one of the major contributions to the social values loss.

All in all, the development of the economy, of course, has both pros and cons such as living standard improvement or the loss of social values. But I believe that the disadvantages are far outweighed by the advantages.

2 Likes

Hi, Rosie, your mechanics in this one were quite good. Only a few minor grammar mistakes and some good vocabulary words which were generally used correctly. Still, I am not sure it is quite up to the 7 level, but very close. See my suggestions below:

3 Likes

Thanks for your hard working. Your help means a lot to me :blush:

1 Like