More and more people buy luxuries. Negative or positive trend?

Topic: More and more people want to own famous brands of cars, clothes and other items. What are the reasons for this? Is this a negative or positive trend?

Currently, the amount of purchasers who are likely to spend their money on high-end products such as BMW, Lamborghini, Gucci or D&G is increasing considerably. There are basically two reasons for this tendency that are the need of competitive sense and the customers’ psychology of products’ qualities. I will also prove my points about the negative effects of this trend in the following paragraphs.

In my point of view, there are mostly two reasons that consumers incline to buy more luxury trademarks. The first reason comes from the rivalry sense of every human being. Every individual lusts for exceeding others in every aspect he or she cares about. From this emerges the sincere mania to purchase expensive and not very practical objects just in order to prove they are classier than other. After all, luxury items are able to emphasize the fact that its owner is positioned on a higher class of the society’s hierarchy. Secondly, another logic explaining this tendency is the customers’ psychology about those products’ qualities. Most famous-brand buyers decide to choose a label based on its perceived quality rather than the actual quality. Perhaps the modern luxuries do not significantly differ from the cheaper models, but its quality is positioned by the shopper on a higher level.

On the other hand, I consider this inclination brings adverse impacts for two reasons. Firstly, this consuming habit develops a materialism tendency in the society, especially in most adolescents. For example, they tend to imitate celebrities or entertainment stars when seeing them wearing such luxurious items. Furthermore, because of the disability to afford those costly clothes at their age, teenagers could commit to illegal activities in order to fulfill their desires, causing negative consequences for their families and society as well. Secondly, although the qualities of those brands is obviously greater than the middles’ ones, yet the prices you have to pay are much pricey in comparison with their actual characters. Moreover, they will quickly get old along with time passes by, so that customers should smartly invest their money in what are more stable such as education or real estate.

To conclude, the tendency of consuming leading-brand products has become more popular in our society. For all the aforementioned reasons, I strongly believe this is not a positive buying habit.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and a departmental secretary

Could anyone help me please? Thanks very much in advance.