might be cheating

Can one use
[color=red]1-Your husband might cheat on you.
instead of:
[color=indigo]2-Your husband might be cheating on you.
(Maybe he is cheating on you at the time being.)

Can one use:
[color=red]3-That kid might go to the same school as my son.
instead of:
[color=indigo]4-That kid might be going to the same school as my son.
(Maybe he is a student there at the time being.)

Gratefully,
Navi.

#1 is definitely talking about a possible future event, as opposed to the “at the time being” meaning of #2.

The second pair is not as cut and dried - #3 could mean the same as #4, but the meaning of #3 is ambiguous, meaning either a future event or (less probably) an event taking place now.

Luschen,
Is this sentence not correct?: ‘Your husband might cheat you.’
If I add ‘on’ preposition as #1, does this sentence change the meaning?
Is this sentence - “That kid goes to the same school as my son.” OK? Does it has ambiguity?

“Your husband might cheat you.” is correct, but it would need some context to understand exactly what you were talking about.

“Your husband might cheat on you.” is clear in any context and has a different meaning - it means he might have an extramarital affair.

“Your husband might cheat.” generally means the same as “might cheat on you” unless their is some additional context - “I don’t like to play cards with you, because your husband might cheat.”

“That kid goes to the same school as my son” is correct and unambiguous.

Luschen,
Can I say:
“That kid goes to the same school like my son.”?

No, we can only say “same as”, not “same like”.

Thank you veyr much Luschen,

I have one more question here:

Can one use:
[color=red]3-That kid could go to the same school as my son.
instead of:
[color=indigo]4-That kid could be going to the same school as my son.
(Maybe he is a student there at the time being.)

Gratefully,
Navi.

Hi, I don’t think #3 is quite equivalent to #4. To me it sounds like a possible future event rather than a present activity: “The Johnson boy’s family is moving to Maple Street? That kid could go to the same school as my son.”