Meaning of Give up on

“Is freedom of travel really worth giving up on a family?”
Does it mean is freedom of travel really worth having no a family?
Thks.

2 Likes

Hi, welcome to our forum and many thanks for sharing your first question.

You have interpreted the sentence you quoted almost correctly. The author asks if the freedom of travel is either worth neglecting your family or not even starting a family. At least, that’s how I see it.

Maybe you can share the source of the quote to make sure we understand exactly what the author wants to say?

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick response.
The source of the quote is from article “How do some people afford to travel so often if they are not wealthy?” on Quora website with Dave Merk thought on what he thinks about travel pleasure. You could have more reference through it. Just a paragraph from that “By American standards, Im not rich. I live on about $20k a year. The difference between me and most, is my income is passive, from various investments. Passive income is less expensive than earned income, meaning less taxes, no time traded, and things like cars which are often required for commuting become optional. Add up what it cost to own a car, get rid of it, and suddenly 20k is not so bad. The other major thing is I dont have kids. Its a hard trade. Is freedom of travel really worth giving up on a family? I can’t answer that one.”
By the way, what does “no time traded” mean here?
Many thks.

3 Likes

Now it makes sense, thanks a lot for sharing this. What Dave says is that generating a passive income has lots of advantages over trading your time for money and I totally agree with him. ‘No time traded’ here means that instead of working for a company on an hourly basis you automatically generate an income from various online sources such as a blog, an app or a website. The precious asset we all have is our time. Even Jeff Bezos can’t buy any amount of time. That’s why a passive income gives you much more freedom a higher quality of life and being employed by a company.

And as for your initial question, Dave apparently doesn’t have his own family and has no intention to start one. Instead, he regards himself as part of what you might want to call ‘the human family’ which includes all of us.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

2 Likes

Very helpful your clarification. Deep appreciation.
Thanks a lot Torsten.

2 Likes

I think you need to slightly alter the wording of your explanation although you have correctly understood the meaning of the original quote. Perhaps you could say -
Is freedom of travel worth not having a family for?

3 Likes

The original question was made by author, Dave Merk, from Quora website, that I just quoted to get english.best explanations, not mine.
Very appreciate your advice Alan anyway.

2 Likes