Meaning of "give hand"

[color=green]To give/hand to on a plate means to let someone get something very easily, without having to work for it.

But to give hand, what does it mean?

If I say that [color=red]please give me your hand, could it mean something else like “please help me”, or …?

Yes,sakoos,that’s right

Hi sakoos,

You asked:

I think it’s necessary to make clear what exactly you mean. If I say: Give me your hand, it suggests possibly that I have fallen over and I need someone to help me stand up. Possibly you are thinking of another expression with hand that is more general. If I say: Give me a hand, I am asking you to help me in the work/job I am doing.

Alan

I think sakoos meant expression with the word hand used in figurative sense.They are a great number in English.The reason why i think so isTo give/hand to on a plate means to let someone get something very easily, without having to work for it.

Hi Pamela,

I am aware of the variety of expressions associated with the word hand and that’s precisely why I gave as an example: Give me a hand and also lend me a hand - both indicating that you are asking for help. Your example (to give it its full value) hand someone something on a plate - to give something where the recipient does nothing to earn the gift - I wouldn’t say was a figurative use of hand but rather of plate.

Alan

Thanks,Alan, for quick response :smiley:

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance here.

And I think we can also use [color=blue]“give hand” as to clap hand for someone, right?

Petch, An English student

Hi Sakoos

The expression meaning “to applaud” is give someone a (big) hand.

(The word “big” is often included in the expression.)

After the performance, the audience gave the singer a big hand.

Amy